Data Base: Japanese Aircraft Engines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And why do you say that this is an experimental model? After all, he stood on K5Y and E14Y. I mean the Tempu 12 with a capacity of 300 hp. Yes, and why do you call it Tenpu? Is this a different engine already?His closest relative, according to my information, is Tenpuu 21, which is located in the Misawa Museum.

I am very meticulous about building my plane...)
1711548065024.jpeg
1711547989373.jpeg

Continue... Here are 2 screenshots of the Japanese engine table. I found them a long time ago on some website. I remember that this data is from a book.
There are both HA13 and 13a here. In 1 screenshot. But they have a different capacity specified. And here, the Tenpu 11 engine is not specified anywhere. But here, in the 2nd screenshot, there is a Hitachi GK2 TEMPU. In short, a confusing story ...
So which engine was on the E14Y1...))?
And I have one more question. Do you know which magazine this picture is from with a picture of the engine that you recognized as Tenpu 11?
1711565042464.jpeg

1711565071975.jpeg

Ha-13-ko(or a) is an improved version of Ha-13.
Ha-11 looks a cancelled designation.

There seem a lot to check and correct in your second list but I am curious who made the list.

I have not heard of these names 1 瑞風 (Hatakaze), 2 陣風(Jimpu) and 3 天父(Tempu) for Hitachi/Gasuden engines.
I only heard 4 神風 and 5 天風 for the naval use.

4 神風 can be read Jimpu or Kamikaze
5 天風 can be read Tempu or Amakaze

1711565071975.jpg

Good afternoon, everyone! Dear Shinpachi, I found the site where my screenshots were taken https://military-history .fandom.com/wiki/Japanese_aircraft_engine_identification_systems?veaction=edit. Here's another photo. Could you translate it? But judging by your data, all engines are not suitable for power, namely 300 hp. In this case, tell me where to find the correct technical data for both the engine and the e14Y1 aircraft. Maybe this progenitor of the Amakaze 21 engine for K5Y3 is Tenpu 11?
1711621890254.png

1711621946957.png

Amakaze 21 engine for K5Y3

Last edited:
Sorry no more time for research and translation.
I believe that you can do the rest of job by yourself well :)
Good luck.

I am very sorry, dear Shinpachi, that you cannot continue our research. But I, under your strict guidance...), started this discussion, and I will have to finish it. I took 2 screenshots from one book. The quality is poor, but a lot can be understood. You wrote that you had not heard of these names 1 瑞風 (Hatakase), 2 陣風 (Jimpu) and 3父父 (Tempu) for Hitachi/Gasuden engines. They are present here, both in the first picture and in the second. On the second one, fortunately for me, I found which aircraft were equipped with certain engines. Now I know that the Amakaze GK2 engine (the manufacturer's G-code is Hitachi and the letter K- air-cooled engines were designated) with the designation Ha-22, were installed on E14Y,K3M2,K5Y,K11W,Q1W aircraft. There is also a designation for army engines and airplanes, but I'm not interested in that right now... Maybe someone will need these 2 pictures, I was glad to help. Good luck.

1711633013211.jpeg

1711633040621.jpeg

Yes, I almost forgot...In the top post, these are screenshots from the book by Mawhinney, Robert. Japanese Aircraft Engines. Washington D.C.: NASM.
And these 2 pictures are from the book Japanese Aero-Engines, Mike Goodwin. Now that's it...)

I can imagine American engineers being baffled by Japanese technological specs only to learn, post war, it was a typographical error.
I want to tell them - Hitachi Aircraft and Gasuden are same one as well as Tenpu and Amakaze or Jinpu and Kamikaze.
Hitachi Aircraft is now Hino Motors. Hino says "We called them Tenpu and Jinpu" but historians say "No, they should be called Amakaze and Kamikaze formally."
Anything seems to go in the history :)

Hi! Dear Shinpachi, may I ask you to post a drawing of the Amakase engine (Tempu 12) with dimensions?Almost the same as you posted on page 14. Of course, if you have one...
thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back