De Havilland DH103 Hornet.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sid327

Banned
Jan 28, 2010
TRNC
I searched and couldn't find a thread in this part of the forum for this aircraft.
If there is could you please let me know and I will ask for this one to be added to it....

The pic source: the Internet.

Attachments

• DH103's 03.jpg
    DH103's 03.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 372
  • Hornet 3.jpg
    Hornet 3.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 387
  • PX314.jpg
    PX314.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 620
  • PX362 F3.jpg
    PX362 F3.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 384
  • PX393 F3.jpg
    PX393 F3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 342
  • TT186.jpg
    TT186.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 527
  • TT202_2.jpg
    TT202_2.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 428
  • TT211 F20.jpg
    TT211 F20.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 447
  • VR857_1.jpg
    VR857_1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 301
  • WB909_1.jpg
    WB909_1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 319
  • WF975 F4_a.jpg
    WF975 F4_a.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited by a moderator:
Always had trouble telling apart the DH Hornet from the Westland Whirlwind, apart from their tails.

LoL... Saying "slightly" off is beyond me. That's like saying a Cessna-172 is prettier than a Cessna-182 b/c the -182 is slightly off due to its cowl flaps & thinner overall profile of the vertical fin. Or a Piper Tri Pacer is prettier than a Piper Colt b/c the Tri Pacer has two doors to seat four people whereas the Colt only seats two. Sorry for saying all this but the similarities between the above aircraft & the DH Hornet & Westland Whirlwind are just too close for me to make such a contrast. Maybe I'm missing something more?

The Whirlwind has a longer nose than the Hornet, because they fitted four 20mm Hispanos in front of the cockpit. Consequently, the pilot sits almost over the trailing edge of the wing. In the Hornet, the cannon were underneath the cockpit, so the nose is shorter and the pilot sits much further forward. Besides, the Whirlwind's bubble canopy is almost (half-)egg-shaped, the one of the Hornet looks more streamlined.

The Whirlwind is a ''might have been''
It might look similar to some, ....as we all see things differently.
It was a good idea at the time but hampered by problems and under-powered.
Maybe it wasn't good enough to justify re-engining it with Merlins.
(The Whirlind must have been one of the first fighters with a teardrop canopy).
*pics found on the internet*

The two in comparison:-
Westland Whirlwind.jpg
Hornet 3.jpg

LoL... Saying "slightly" off is beyond me. That's like saying a Cessna-172 is prettier than a Cessna-182 b/c the -182 is slightly off due to its cowl flaps & thinner overall profile of the vertical fin. Or a Piper Tri Pacer is prettier than a Piper Colt b/c the Tri Pacer has two doors to seat four people whereas the Colt only seats two. Sorry for saying all this but the similarities between the above aircraft & the DH Hornet & Westland Whirlwind are just too close for me to make such a contrast. Maybe I'm missing something more?

It's the whole tail area of the Whirlwind. It just doesn't match the rest of the design. You have sleek, closely-cowled engines, a neat (if rather over-complicated) radiator installation, a decent bubble canopy, all of which are good-looking...and then they slap a tail on it that wouldn't be out of place on a Barracuda.

Mock all you like but, IMHO, the Hornet is the better-looking aircraft by a country mile (or any other long measure of distance you wish to select).

Didn't either one have problems with powerplants other than being underpowered? I once read there were issues of overheating & reliability issues as well. Was it just one of them or did both have similar issues?

Didn't either one have problems with powerplants other than being underpowered? I once read there were issues of overheating & reliability issues as well. Was it just one of them or did both have similar issues?

Westland Whirlwind (fighter) - Wikipedia

de Havilland Hornet - Wikipedia

I read Eric Browns account about the DH103 Hornet and from memory it only required a few modifications for carrier work. No noted problems with the engines themselves. It needed a fin fillet to improve directional stability on one engine and the handed engines which initially were outward turning were changed to inward turning. ................One of the most over-powered aircraft available at the time.
The Whirlwind was not so lucky. The Peregrine engines were in short supply initially and it had a few problems with the installation. It's biggest problem was range. It was a good idea and an interesting plane, but RR quit development of the Peregrine to concentrate on the more promising Merlin.

Hi johnbr,

Have you got anymore photos of the Hornet?
These were already posted. :)

Cheers, Steve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back