Decals won’t stick

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Acronyx1247

Recruit
Jul 3, 2022
I'm working on a model kit (ju 88 a4 1/48 by revell) and I'm putting on a decal regularly like putting it in water, and let it sit but when I touch the piece after some time the decal falls off so I put some water on the surface where the decal should be or moisten it and put it back on and pushed it down with a q-tip and I figured that would work but no it didn't. And now it seems that the decal just won't stick anymore to the piece, and I have no idea on what to do.

Usually there are three reasons the decal markings don't want to stick. Either the surface is too dull or the decal glue lost its bonding capabilities or was rinsed with water. In other words there is no glue there.
The first problem can be resolved by applying of the clear gloss coat. The second and third ones need some of the glue applied at the area where the decal marking is going to be stuck. Actually the decal adhesive is the same one used for postage stamps. In Poland it is called "Guma Arbaska" ( acacia gum ) and may be bought in stationer shops or school supplies shops. In case it is not availabe any longer in the USA, you may find it on the decal sheets where the decal markings aren't printed. You should take a piece of the background paper of a such sheet and put a small drop of clean water on it in order to dissolve the glue. Then use a brush to mix the water with the adhesive. Apply the mix at the area for the marking and put the decal on. When the decal marking is stuck and the glue is dry you should wash its excesses off with a clean brush soaked with some of warm water.
Also you may try to use the Micro Set and Micro Sol liquids that can help the decal marking to sit.

What do you mean by future is that a glue?
I'll let Fubar do a more concise description, but Future is, or was, a product for floor finishing (clear). In my area I have to get Pledge (equivalent). In any case it can have multiple uses including, as suggested, being used as an adhesive. If me, I would try a product like Tamiya's Mark Fit (regular or strong); it's purpose it to soften decals so that they will conform to any irregularities in the skin (panels, rivets, etc.).

I've had luck coating the area with Future and then applying the decal
What do you mean by future is that a glue?

The Future liquid is nothing more but the clear gloss acrylic coat. Usually it is used as coat for making the surface smooth. The decal markings stick to the kind of basis nicely. Also there is a techinque of applying of the decal markings called the "on wet surface". In the case the decals are applied on the surface coated with the Future still not dried up. So the Future works as the decal adhesive. But I wouldn't recommend the way to inexperienced modellers.

Our pleasure.

BTW .. if there is still the kind of the post stamps offered by the Post Office, the great source for the glue are the margins of the stamp sheets. These are covered with the adhesive on one site of the quite wide paper strips. Mostly the margins are torn off and binned. If you ask for them at the Post Office you should get them for free.

OK... one more question though .. how long do you keep the decal marking in the water before applying on a model?

around 30 seconds If it isn't coming off maybe another 30 seconds

Also could it be that the model kit is old? Cause since I didn't have lots of time cause of school I couldn't get to the kit much and work on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a bottle of this which I haven't tried yet

1656885414336.png

around 30 seconds If it isn't coming off maybe another 30 seconds

Also could it be that the model kit is old? Cause since I didn't have lots of time cause of school I couldn't get to the kit much and work on it.

The time of 1 minute in total for soaking seems to be a little bit too long IMHO. It may be the reason for rinsing the glue with water.
You should use some of warm water. After a couple of seconds , let's say 4 , take out the decal marking form the water and put it on an ordinary newspaper for about two minutes. After that time, try to slightly move the decal marking with a brush. If you can't move it fully, apply some of the water on the decal marking with the brush again. And wait a little bit longer. If the marking can be moved you may put it on the model.

Regarding your question ... yes the "age" of the kit can affect the adhesive negatively. Mostly the glue becomes yellowish and loses the adhesive properties. Also it may just disappear. Anyway the additional glue is needed.

Old decals can easily take more than a couple of minutes to slide off. If using Future or Pledge, know that these clear acrylic gloss products that dry quickly. If you are applying the decal to a flat paint using this technique you will get an area of discoloration around the decal. The products dry quickly and you dont have a lot of time to move the decal into position. Then, you may find that dabbing off the excess liquid with a cloth will leave residue from the cloth or tissue as the stuff becomes sticky quite quickly. Your safest bet in my opinion is to use a dedicated decal setting solution like those suggested above .

Okay thank you all for answering my questions take care y'all

Also, plain old white glue, diluted with water, works as a last resort. Dilute a drop or two with water in a small tin or what have you, paint the diluted glue onto the model, apply decal, press down and wait till everything dries. Gently wash off the dried glue outside the decalled area with plain water and a brush; repeat as necessary. If you are lucky enough to have an old THICK decal with no glue, you can just apply the diluted glue directly on the back, saving several steps of clean-up.

NOTE*** I only work with enamels, so your mileage may vary with other types of paint. Shouldn't matter, if they are thoroughly dried, but you never know...

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back