The country was politically unstable and quite possibly at the verge of a communist revolution, this is nasty stuff given the atrocities in Spain, the Soviet Union and Hungary. Remember, the Spannish civil war began over Priests and Nuns being murdered since the standard Marxist-Leninist ideology at the time regarded the Church as half their problem.
What I am saying is the country was divided and this reflected on their industrial policy.
I don't remember any atrocities during Tony Blair, François Mitterand or even Leon Blum governement.
The "Front Populaire" as well as spanish "Frente Popular" was a political calition including for most of them respublicans, socialists reformators and other left and centre partys.
In spain communists had no more than 14 MP/278. Maybe 4 of them were Komintern members. The POUM communists were frankly anti-stalinists, it's why their leader was even assassinated by soviet NKVD during spanish civil war, at general shock. Don't see any risk of communist revolution there...
Well before any political crisis, the deplorable state of the industry was not allowing any success of french rearmement plans. Due to mental and technical retardation from french headquarters and plane builders the plan I from 1934 was a failure. Looking at LéO-206 and LéO -257B commanded in 1935 cause no better choices, it was obvious that it was hard for them to leave outmoded but proven techniques, sclerotic ideas.
Well what can we say if reported to the end of 1937 france was still rearming with D-501, D-371 and SPAD-S 510 when I-16 and Messerschmitts were fighting in spain. And Polikarpov I-17 triomphating at Paris aviation salon.
At this condition, considering the full failure from existing and future rearmement plans, the radical-socialist Pierre Cot from Blum Governement made the only clever proposal. Massive deliveries from Soviet Union that could send in one-2 months the mid-30ies one year french military production, in exchange of technology transfer and gold francs, of course...
J'v got no doubt that in 1936-37, I-17 with HS engines and chauvière props, and I-16 with modernised american Cyclones could perform better than D-500, D-371 ans SPAD S 510.
As well as SB-2 against MB-131 or Potez 540.
Or DB-3F for Bloch MB-200, Amiot 131, or Farman 221.
No doubts than hundreds of Tupolevs (even some TB-7 why not, with french help...) and Iliushins massed over french boarder should have been made Hitler thinking twice before invading Tchecoslovakia.
Regards