Did anyone in Japan try/consider using the 18-cylinder Kasei ("Jusei") engine on the J2M Raiden?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kilkenny

Airman
Jan 26, 2021
The Ki-67 Hiryu got them. Wouldn't it have been prudent for the IJN to put them in the J2M Raiden? This would have allowed for most pilot/fuel tank armor and perhaps a higher speed; and may not have delayed things any more than the J2M was already delayed.

Sounds like a what-if for the modern enthusiasts.
"Jusei" makes no sense as Mitsubishi adopted planets' name though I am curious how it is written in Japanese.
Goodwin/Starkings says it means "Multiple Star". In any case, it was the MK6/Ha-42 joint engine. In a "what if" scenario, MHI would have had to develop it in 1941 and put it in service by 1943 (in a "J3M") for it to have made any difference. But of course we know that the ultimate fate of the IJN/IJAF and Japan would have been the same, just a year or two later...

(Thank you for responding, Sensei)

"Jusei" might mean 10-star, which could be all nine planets plus the Sun or 十星 (but this is without the "tsu" counter, which is not grammatically correct).

K Kilkenny each variant of the Kasei that was built for the Raiden had to be specially developed with an extension shaft and I don't see a single one that had been developed for the Raiden anywhere. My guess is that the additional four cylinders added enough weight that it made use on the Raiden unfeasible.

Raiden with the Ha-42 is sorta Japanese land-based Bearcat
I didn't realize that was the Ha-42! Check out the Air and Space Museum's surviving model:

It clearly has a fuel-injection system, although it's also an Ru (supercharged) variant.

"Jusei" might mean 10-star, which could be all nine planets plus the Sun or 十星 (but this is without the "tsu" counter, which is not grammatically correct).

K Kilkenny each variant of the Kasei that was built for the Raiden had to be specially developed with an extension shaft and I don't see a single one that had been developed for the Raiden anywhere. My guess is that the additional four cylinders added enough weight that it made use on the Raiden unfeasible.
Yeah; of course they would have had to add to the length of the plane (or otherwise rebalanced things). But it seems that the extra power would have served a Raiden 2 well, especially if it enabled more protection (more speed was not really needed for bomber interception purposes).

Yeah; of course they would have had to add to the length of the plane (or otherwise rebalanced things). But it seems that the extra power would have served a Raiden 2 well, especially if it enabled more protection (more speed was not really needed for bomber interception purposes).
I think the weight of the Ha-42 isn't just a little more than the Ha-32, it's a lot more, and it has a larger diameter for whatever reason. From this discussion thread (written by C cherry blossom and S Shortround6 ) we have the following data:

Mitsubishi Kasei.............1850 HP................1340mm...........780kg............42L ( 2567ci ?)
Mitsubishi Ha-104.........1900 HP................1372 mm.........1140 kg.........54.1L (3301 ci)

Which suggests that for 50 more HP than the 32, it weighed 360kg more. NASM's site says that the Ha-42 (Ru subvariant) actually produced 2,300 HP, in which case, I'd also like to know why an interceptor wasn't considered based on it since the Ru version had good high-altitude performance as well as extremely high horsepower.

It could have been that its super heavy weight would have required a completely new airframe. In 1944, there were already aircraft in development with the necessary performance for intercepting B-29s. Bomber development was deprioritized in favor of interceptors so bomber engines may have also been pushed to the wayside.

Which suggests that for 50 more HP than the 32, it weighed 360kg more. NASM's site says that the Ha-42 (Ru subvariant) actually produced 2,300 HP, in which case, I'd also like to know why an interceptor wasn't considered based on it since the Ru version had good high-altitude performance as well as extremely high horsepower.

'Ru' = has a turbosupercharger attached to the engine. Japanese production of turboes was minimal.

Mitsubishi Kasei.............1850 HP................1340mm...........780kg............42L ( 2567ci ?)
Mitsubishi Ha-104.........1900 HP................1372 mm.........1140 kg.........54.1L (3301 ci)

Ha 104 (Ha 42 Mod 11 - as used on the Ki-67) weighted under 1000 kg. Kaseis with extension shaft were around 850 kg. All dry weights.

Goodwin and Starkings give a weight for the Ha-104 of 1140 kg on page 120. They don't actually say dry weight, so there is some wriggle room. They give the weight for the A18E version (Ha-214) which gave 2,300 hp as 1,235 kg on page 123 and suggest that it was significantly redesigned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back