Display cases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

36feet10inches

Staff Sergeant
Jan 25, 2009
Newark, UK
Not a building question exactly:

Now I'm trying a bit harder with my builds I'd like to keep them out of harm's way and shield them from dust, I don't have space for a big display cabinet at present but was looking at acrylic box-type cases, Trumpeter do them but they seem horrifically expensive for what they are. Anyone got any pointers towards cases at reasonable prices?

Much appreciated.

I have found the acrylic boxes to be stupid expensive and when I investigated making some myself out of acrylic sheet, the sheets themselves were expensive and so there was no saving. I eventually settled on a reasonably priced IKEA Billy Book Case with glass doors and shelves.

Like Andy, I have some Ikea glass cabinets, in two sizes, plus two glass door bookcases that I use for my model displays.
However, at some point in the future, I'll need a case for a 1/48th scale Lancaster diorama, the base of which will be around 24 x 28 inches.
I found a couple of UK web sites where they will cut clear acrylic to the required size, and send by courier, and this looks like it will work out at around £20 to £25 for the required pieces to make a cover case to fit the diorama base, plus the clear epoxy adhesive with which to but-join the sections.
I also want to add extra shelves to some of my cabinets, and again, the clear acrylic works out a lot cheaper than the equivalent glass cut to size, which surprised me. The shelves work out at around £5 each, at a size of approximately 34 inches x 11 inches, whereas bevel-edge glass would be more than £15, nearer £20 !
If you don't have room for a full height cabinet, try searching (probably on e bay), for ex-shop display cases, the type that are 'counter height', used for jewelry, perfume and similar small objects, as they can often be found at reasonable prices.

Edited :- re-checked prices.

Last edited:
Like Andy, I have some Ikea glass cabinets, in two sizes, plus two glass door bookcases that I use for my model displays.
However, at some point in the future, I'll need a case for a 1/48th scale Lancaster diorama, the base of which will be around 24 x 28 inches.
I found a couple of UK web sites where they will cut clear acrylic to the required size, and send by courier, and this looks like it will work out at around £20 to £25 for the required pieces to make a cover case to fit the diorama base, plus the clear epoxy adhesive with which to but-join the sections.
I also want to add extra shelves to some of my cabinets, and again, the clear acrylic works out a lot cheaper than the equivalent glass cut to size, which surprised me. The shelves work out at around £5 each, at a size of approximately 34 inches x 11 inches, whereas bevel-edge glass would be more than £15, nearer £20 !
If you don't have room for a full height cabinet, try searching (probably on e bay), for ex-shop display cases, the type that are 'counter height', used for jewelry, perfume and similar small objects, as they can often be found at reasonable prices.

Edited :- re-checked prices.

A place to look for display counters unfortunately may be small local businesses that have not survived the lockdown. I have also seen some in furniture resale stores.

Yep, unfortunate, but true.
Also, if or when things get back to something like normal, some stores may remove the clear screens around counters and check-out stations, erected for safety reasons due to Covid, which could possibly be a source of cheaper clear sheeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back