You've talked straight past my point again. I'm fully aware of the armaments of various USN and RN classes. I'm also aware that the USN didn't fit the 'magic' Bofors until later in the war. My assertion, about fifty posts back, was that the RN used sub-standard equipment early in the war, partly out of cost-saving, partly out of an under-appreciation of the threat posed by air attack. I'm not arguing it was better or worse than anybody else's equipment, just that it wasn't as good as it could have been and that this failure cost the RN dearly throughout the early phases of the war
I'm going to make this my last post in this thread, as it seems you will continue to claim that the RN had good AAA as it was no worse than anyone elses's...
I am afraid that I missed this thread which is a shame as its a topic that interests me. I would argue that no navy understood the threat from the air before the war as well as the RN. They had a number of actions in place pre war, to deal with the threat that were not matched anywhere else and
money was not the problem.
The actions I am thinking of were:-
i) The conversion of old WW1 cruisers to AA cruisers giving them a vital front line role which paid many dividends.
ii) The building of the first AA Dido class cruisers. Until the Atlanta class came along they were unique
iii) The conversion of some merchant vessels to AA ships. These were probably the most extensive and complete conversion of any merchant ship to a naval fighting vessel anywhere, with firepower equal to any cruiser in the AA role.
iv) A number of VW class destroyers were altered to 4 x 4in DP guns as an escort.
v) The Hunt class destroyers with more punch to the ton than you will find anywhere
vi) Escort such as the Black Swan equal to any AA escort you care to mention
vii) The early selection of the 2pd as a weapon of choice for defending warships. It may not be as effective as the 40mm but pre war you will have difficulty fining a better weapon. A quad mounting on a destroyer was an effective defence
viii) The 0.5 was an ineffective weapon but the same mistake was made by most navies and the RN did replace them with 20mm as quickly as possible
The only major and I admit it was a major mistake the RN made was the lack of DP guns on destroyers. That said I believe a case could be made for saying that this wasn't a massive probnlem until Proximity fuses were developed. Hiitting an aircraft with heavy AA fire was very difficult before this. I would always put forward the case that 6 x 4in DP would have been far more effective than 4 x 4.7 LA.
The difficulty that the RN had in increasing light AA fire wasn't in my view money or desire, it was space. People forget how much smaller RN destroyers were compared to other navies with the exception of the Italian navy.
The standard RN war built destroyer in standard tons was approx 30% smaller than the Fletcher, 20% smaller than the Yugumo and 40% smaller than the German destroyers.
To counteract this the RN tended to develop more sophisticated mountings to improve the effectiveness of the guns they carried. Twin 20mm were often in power operated mountings as were single 40mm guns and sighted using reflector sights. The twin Hazemeyer mounting was a step too far but being of a gyro stabalised mounting with built in radar direction and sight, it showed the lengths that they were trying to go to improve the situation.
All these developments cost money so I would suggest the limitation was on deck space not cost