Dive limits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dive tests found at Williams' site:
Fw-190 (early model)
Bf-109 (9.3 MB pdf, in German, but numbers should be self-explaining)

('Vw' = Wirkliche Geschwindlikheit = TAS; 'Va' should be IAS ; 'Machzahl = Mach number)

Many thanks, Mike al :)

added: dive limits for the Bf-109F - table - should have bearing on problems with wings of the Bf-109F

Here's additional material on Me 109 dive:
wn-16387.jpg

From Bf 109 G-2, G-4, G-6 Bedienungsvorschrift, page 26
me109g2-6-pg26.jpg

P-51

Compressibility Dive Tests on P-51D

p-51-dive27.jpg

Spitfire

sd2011.jpg

De H Vampire F Mk I operating limits dive speeds; what was Mod 148?:

deHavillandVampireFMkIPN28_zpsa9019316.gif

deHavillandVampireFMkIPN29_zps6cf0f9e4.gif

Douglas A-26:

DouglasA-26PilotsNotes81_zpsf6047d23.gif

DouglasA-26PilotsNotes80_zpsc3fce138.gif

Grumman F7F:

GrummanF7FPilotsHandbook46_zps31a53fc7.gif

GrummanF7FPilotsHandbook47_zps8d692bb9.gif

GrummanF7FPilotsHandbook56_zps6d47e258.gif

GrummanF7FPilotsHandbook57-001_zpsf7d0997c.gif

GrummanF7FPilotsHandbook58_zpsa74e874d.gif

Speed limits for the Mosquito FB.VI:

View attachment 258185

Those are the post-war limits, 25 mph lower than the wartime equivalent. Will see if I can find my Aussie docco from December '44. I keep trawling around looking for a WWII pilot's notes, never can find any for the VI.

Found the Aussie doccos I was looking for re: wartime Mossie FB.VI dive speed limits.

Date on the first page, speeds (in IAS) on second two.

Edit - date is on the second of the three attachments, sorry.

09.JPG
01.JPG
10.JPG

Those are the post-war limits, 25 mph lower than the wartime equivalent. Will see if I can find my Aussie docco from December '44. I keep trawling around looking for a WWII pilot's notes, never can find any for the VI.

Great work everyone. But this one is great, been chasing the mach limit of the Mossie for some time now. Not bad at all. Probably the best of any WW2 twin.

Great work everyone. But this one is great, been chasing the mach limit of the Mossie for some time now. Not bad at all. Probably the best of any WW2 twin.

I think I also have another docco which gives the results for the Mossie of dive tests, expressed in mach number. This is different from the limits imposed in the pilot's notes, I suppose for obvious reasons.

From memory, the maximum test results were around 0.7 mach, or somewhere just north of that.

Again, it's "somewhere on my hard drive", will see if I can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back