Dive limits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The one that gets my attention is the F4U1-D. It wouldn't take much of a dive to exceed 443 when things get risky
I was thinking the very same thing. I believe that, like the F6F-5, the quoted speed in the book for the Corsair is for altitudes between 10-15k and at the high end would mean the aircraft would be traveling at a true airspeed of 543 mph or around 0.75 Mach. That's really clipping along!

Last edited:
Things generally go in a different direction, pilots were in the plane they were sat in, it wasn't a choice, from that the best choice of action for a given combat situation evolved. Individual pilots, squadrons and whole air forces developed tactics/gambits to maximise strengths and minimise weaknesses.

Zipper, you obviously know quite a lot but please take more care with units and descriptions. You cannot leap so freely between weight, density and mass especially since gravity is such a major part of this discussion.

I came across something interesting the other day. Apparently the do not exceed speed for the late-built F6F-5s was very similar to later model P-47Ds:

F6F Pilot Handbook 1 May 1946:

440 Knots = 506 mph

P-47D (variants 26 thru 35) Pilot's Instructions 25 Jan 1945:

Neither correction table in these two manuals had figures for 500 mph, but if they remained fairly constant from 300 mph the P-47D would edge out the F6F-5 by a mere 9 mph.

Now this of course got me thinking. Why would the P-47, possessing such a fearsome reputation in a dive, have a maximum do not exceed speed comparable to other high performance fighters of it's era? What set it apart from the herd?

Then I read this from an article called Flight Test Comparison...Ending the Argument, found in the June 1990 edition of the EAA's Sport Aviation magazine, and it seems that how an airplane behaves in a dive may be just as crucial as it's maximum safe dive speed and overall acceleration:

In essence there was far less pilot input required with the P-47 than the other types during these tests which, besides instilling the pilot with extra confidence to push his machine even harder, allowed for a faster build up of speed (hence acceleration) as it was easier to keep the airplane under control as it dove in a straight line. I would think this is a huge factor why it is the first airplane people think of when discussing the diving ability of WWII airplanes.....

Last edited:
1. I should have really adjusted my numbers to factor errors in speed gauge with early calculations in dive performance
2. I have a mach/airspeed calculator that I'm printing into a table

I just saw this. Prior to dive flap installation in both P-47D (-30) and P-38J (25) both ships experienced pitch changes (Delta Cm) due to traveling CP in transonic range. The P-47C/D experienced nearly the same pitch down/long recovery difficulty as the P-38 until the dive flap was installed.

The Mustang experienced light 'pitch down' Cm changes due to the NAA/NACA 45-100 airfoil upon which the velocity gradient was lower (than more conventional P-47 and P-38 airfoils with T/C max @~ 26% from LE to T/C max =37%. The airfoil design for the Mustang was a dominant reason for delayed Transonic Parasite Drag increases @ .55M to 0.75M.

From what I remember, the P-47 could dive somewhat faster off the bat: I'd almost swear they were able to get to 0.78 in the P-47B/C variants (it was outside the placard limit, but they could recover).

From what I remember, the P-47 could dive somewhat faster off the bat: I'd almost swear they were able to get to 0.78 in the P-47B/C variants (it was outside the placard limit, but they could recover).
Both the 51 and 47 were near equal in terminal dive. Yeager and Hoover made many such comparisons post War while stationed at Wright Pat.

The top recorded dive for 51D was .85M with significant structural damage that caused it to be salvaged after the flight.

Yeah, Greg's Airplanes & Automobiles listed a document (I think it was for the P-47, but I could be wrong) that specified 0.745 as a mach number. That's very very close to the P-51's placard limit of 0.75. I think that's 3-1/2 miles an hour difference at altitude

Does the later F4U-5 has the same top speed limit for diving as F4U-1?
The F4U-5 was the first Corsair with all metal wings (no fabric panels) and this obviously would affect the dive limit in a positive way. I'm sure if we could locate a F4U-5 pilot's manual there were be G limit charts that we could examine.

The F4U-5 was the first Corsair with all metal wings (no fabric panels) and this obviously would affect the dive limit in a positive way. I'm sure if we could locate a F4U-5 pilot's manual there were be G limit charts that we could examine.
I feel like F4U-5 manual doesn't exist , i cant locate it anywhere though. Is there a photo comparison of F4U-5 and F4U-1 side to side

Users who are viewing this thread