Does someone recognize this aircraft part?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

see this 29 pages 1950 aricle describing a VG -Recorder. The NACA Oil-Damped V-G Recorder Best regards
Very cool, but I think the panel shown might be the control head for the device.

1643663183849.png

Rather odd that it uses straight-slot screws; most US aircraft uses Philips head screws. British perhaps? Where was it found?
My thoughts as well. I believe the OP was from Holland.

Over the years I have seen some US made aircraft accessories that do have slotted screws in them rather than Philips head. Compasses come to mind.

Rather odd that it uses straight-slot screws; most US aircraft uses Philips head screws. British perhaps? Where was it found?

I work at Yanks Air Museum, Chino, and basically nothing we have prior to 1946 has Phillips head fasteners (originally). Slotted screws abound along with the odd Reed & Prince (Frearson) crosspoint screws*. Truly a PIA. We're currently working on our P-63 and the erection/maintainance manual will helpfully point out the Reed & Prince screws in the procedures as they're not terribly common relative to the slotted.

*A Phillips driver doesn't fit a R&P head very well at all and will likely strip the screw head.

NACA had V-G recorders back in the 1930's. Prior to about 1950, they were dry dampened . That report is about the new oil dampened ones.

As to slot head screws.....They were on airframes, instruments and furnishings. I've got stuff on both my L-5 and AT-21 that have slot head screws, and they were built in the 1943-44 period. The specifications for that hardware dates years prior to that. I don't have the spec number for the ones in the cockpit cover for the AT, but there are over a hundred of them in it, alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back