Doolittle Raid

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wad Cutter

Recruit
Jun 17, 2004
I am looking for information about the B-25 Doolittle raid. I am looking for the name on the aircraft and any photos of the aircraft. Be nice if there were in color. Winning the lottery would be nice too. The only name I know for sure in one the bomber was called the" Rupture Duck". Thanks guys for any help you can throw my way.

AerobaticsFLa.jpg

Wad Cutter said:
I am looking for information about the B-25 Doolittle raid. I am looking for the name on the aircraft and any photos of the aircraft. Be nice if there were in color. Winning the lottery would be nice too. The only name I know for sure in one the bomber was called the" Rupture Duck". Thanks guys for any help you can throw my way.

AerobaticsFLa.jpg

Visit the March AFB Museum in Riverside CA, they have a nice display on the Doolittle Raid, photos of most of the crews and many other photos I never seen published. Also read "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo."

Doolittle's Biography is also a good source. There is a pretty good website on the Doolittle Raid by one of the relatives.

http://www.doolittleraider.com

Color pictures? I highly doubt you will find anything from the raid in color. I have never seen any color shot. You can find some nice high res stuff at the National Archives as well.

Anything specific you are looking for? I gave a presentation on the B-25 and the Doolittle Raid just a few weeks ago at the museum where I volunteer and had more material than I could possibly present.

The doolittleraider site is one of the best out there! Another to check out, but not as good is www.doolittleraid.com

.... and if you can read Russian check this out.

http://www.airforce.ru/history/ww2/photoalbum/page_11.htm

I only remember 2 aircraft with noseart offhand. The Ruptured Duck and Hari Carrier. Hari Carrier was a red outline of a winged woman dropping a bomb and Ruptured Duck was a ducks head with crossed crutches below it. This was the aircraft Ted Lawson flew. Lawson lost his leg due to injuries sustained in the crash and ended up writing Thirty Seconds over Tokyo.

A couple others had names but no nose art. One I know of offhand is DeShazers it was named Bat out of Hell.

BTW the 63rd anniversiary of the Doolittle Raid was April 18th!

I also know a guy who was a navigator on a B-29 called the Rover Boys Express. His name is Hap Halloran. He was shot down over Tokyo in early 1945 and captured by the Kempi Tai. One of the "cells" he was put into was basically a wooden crate with a single light bulb poked through the top. Carved into the wall of the crate was the name Chase Nielsen. Nielsen was a navigator on the Doolittle Raid and had been captured in 1942. Hap was also in the same POW camp as Pappy Boyington.

Thats a picture of the Hari Carrier. I know for sure it wasn't Doolittles aircraft but can't remember right now who's it was. It took off towards the back of the pack whereas Doolittle was number 1 off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back