Douglas A-4B Skyhawk Argentine Air Force - Airfix 1/72 (A03029)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ArmouredSprue

Senior Airman
Feb 26, 2013
Adelaide SA
Hi all

This is my last finished project. I have decided to build an A-4B Skyhawk from Argentine Air Force during the Falklands conflict in 1982.

Politics aside, the conflict proved that skilled pilots can make a difference even when using an outdated, or inferior material. In this case the old and still reliable Scooter (Douglas A-4B Skyhawk).

This is a challenging subject, since the resources available are, quite often, not reliable or conflicting. I was fortunate to find an amazing tread in a scale modelling forum where the author (FAAMAN) made a comprehensive article (post) in regards to the Argentinian Skyhawks.
(Images used are in the public domain and used for educational purposes only)

I have decided to built the A-4B C-242, as seen im late May 1982. It was flown by Primer Teniente (1st Lt) Guadagnini. Unfortunately he was killed on the the 23rd during the attack to HMS Antelope.
Guadagnini.jpg

Following is the accounting for that day:

23 MAY 1982:
A flight of four Grupo 5 A-4B Skyhawks attack in two groups. The first attack is led by Capitan Carballo with Primer teniente Alferez Gomez flying his wing. They approach HMS Antelope fast and low over the water. The results of the attack are one 1000 lb. un-exploded bomb in the Antelope's stern. It is believed that the Skyhawk piloted by Alférez H. Gómez stroke Antelope with the 1000 lb. bomb that did not explode. (Later this bomb did explode while being defused, leading to further explosions that sunk the ship.) Capaitan Carballo's Skyhawk is severely damaged by AAA and an exploding SAM, and barely escapes a second SAM. Carvballo's damaged Skyhawk makes it back to base and post-flight inspection finds a damaged fin on one of his drop tanks. This may have been caused by striking the mast rigging of the Antelope.
The second attack from this flight is flown by Primer Teniente Guadagnini and Teniente Rinke and results in another 1000 lb. unexploded bomb in the Antelope. Primer Teniente Guadagnini flying A-4B Skyhawk C-242 was killed when his Skyhawk was struck, mostly likely by a British Sea Wolf SAM from HMS Broadsword.

C-242_profile.jpg

C-242 shot down by SAMs and AAA on the 23rd May 1982 whilst attacking HMS Antelope, the pilot Primer Teniente Guadagnini was killed, 'B' pattern camouflage with standard 'official' I.D. bands in six positions

Photo Resource
C-242_001.jpg

C242 before the Yellow bands being applied

C-242_003.jpg

C-242 (forefront aircraft on the right) with yellow ID bands applied

Here is the final model:
PS: After I shot these photos I've noticed some mistakes in my building, especially the landing gears (front being tilted to right and main not being in 90degrees straight angle, and also the open canopy tilted to right). All this has been fixed but not new photos taken.

A4B_arg_0001.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-2.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-9.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-3.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-4.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-5.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-6.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-7.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-8.jpg

A-4B_Argentine-10.jpg

A-4B_Argentine.jpg

that's it!
All comments and critics are very welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back