Dry brushing among other things...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KevinK.

Airman
Aug 30, 2010
Belleville, IL
Ok, first of all.. seeing all of the great models has gotten me in the mood to do some again. Most of my painting comes from miniature sci-fi war gaming (WH40K is anyone cares to know). I've hand painted several hundered individual "men" in a variety of armor, uniforms, and skin coloring. I've done dozens of vehicles. So, please before some of you write it off as not being historical, or 'real' just consider it. I've had this argument with historical war gamers before. An Imperial Guard Leman Russ MBT will weather the same way a Panther will. :)

I've gone over Wayne's great stuff about what he does for weathering. Yes, I did learn some new things I didn't consider before (like the pencil for panels. But I did notice that there were a few things I do not think any one considered, or at least brought up. I might be slow on the uptake here so stick with me.

The last thing I've been afraid of doing is using an airbrush gun to paint fingers, over spray the model..ect. There are some things I do to get around it.

Dry Brushing? I would think that dry brushing would work for wear on leading edges, exhaust marks, oil stains, and softening 'hard' edges.

Instead of Wayne's pencil idea, I've used a tiny brush and hand did the job. Any corrections made would be by going back over the mistakes with a brush and doing touch ups. BTW.. I like his idea better. But depending on what you are doing, you could use different colors depending on what you are outlining.

Any thoughts?

Sorry, I don't have any pics, and would have to dig through the attic to get some out for photo's. I'm not sure they've even survived very well, it's been years.

I've never used an airbrush and use the dry brush method all the time. I don't ever feel like a red-headed stepchild without an air gun!

I don't think my models come out too bad! What ever technique works!

Attachments

• Group104.jpg
    Group104.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
Does anyone else use these Tamiya weathering pads for dry brushing?

TA87079.jpg

I've always liked dry brushing as my favoured method of general weathering, mostly on vehicles and armour but also on aircraft, but struggled for a long time with dry-ish paint and pastel powder which all work fairly well but I found hard to control the amount going on precisely for delicate weathering. But when I tried the Tamiya weathering set, it worked prerfectly for me, and I've not looked back since. I'd even say it has transformed my weathering experience.

In the photo below (sorry, not very good lighing), I used them to softly lighten the middle of the panels amongst other effects, with the perfect control I wanted for a delicate effect.

Attachments

• P1000164.JPG
    P1000164.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 267
I would suggest giving one a go, probably the earth tones one shown above is the most useful overall, although other colour combination sets are available. The applicator has a brush end and sponge end, I found the sponge end most useful on the whole.

I found using the set is delicate enough to give very subtle light localised shading to panel areas or can quickly build up stronger phased areas of dirt, and also highlights hard edges very effectively. In summary very versatile and with excelant levels of subtle control, and very quick and easy to build up good effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back