eBay: Avro Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If the pilot was killed did anyone else have rudimentary knowledge of how to fly?

The Lancaster at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum has dual controls, Veteran returns to Lancaster cockpit after 50 years. Which is a good thing as it flew across the Atlantic a few years back.

Thanks for that, Terry - I was always under the impression that the Lancaster and Lincoln only had a single control station.

They posted a photo of the Manchester cockpit for some reason.

It is a Lancaster cockpit, just a dual control one, fitted with rudder pedals and stuff. You can see the four engine instruments and four power levers, with the airscrew condition levers below them on the centre pillar. Pictures of Manchester interiors are few and far between, but the easiest way to tell is by looking at the number of dials on the centre panel, and being a twin, the power levers are next to the condition levers on the centre panel.

What I've never found out why, is that between the Lancaster and Manchester they went from a two pilot flight deck to a single pilot and flight engineer. It might have something to do with a change of crew requirements and an expectation that each gun should be permanently manned. In the Manchester, only the rear gun turret was permanently attended, there being the two pilots, the navigator, who also manned the front gun, two WopAGs (Wireless Operator/Air Gunner - a trade that didn't last much longer in WW2) and the rear gunner. Note that there was no dedicated bombardier. I'm assuming it was carried out by one of the WopAGs or the navigator. Doesn't explain why the Lancaster lost a second pilot and gained a flight engineer.

That's basically correct.
The "new" four-engined bombers ( after the Stirling ) were deemed more complex, and with the need to locate fuel management instruments and controls in areas other than the main instrument panel, the need for a new "trade", Flight Engineer, was identified.
This crewman was fully versed in all systems of the aircraft, and assisted in engine management, and also had rudimentary training in basic flight control.
Along with the Navigator, the flight Engineer on a Lancaster was probably the most technically qualified, if the not the most technically qualified, member of the crew.

Sounds plausible Terry and Admiral, I guess the Manchester/Lancaster airframe had such limited space by comparison to the Stirling that something had to give.

The Halifax was also single pilot, with the Flight Engineer's station located behind the pilot's seat. The Wellington also operated as a single pilot aircraft.
The need for trained pilots might have also influenced the decision - why train two pilots to fly one aircraft, at great expense and time, when two aircraft could be flown ?

Users who are viewing this thread