eBay: Consolidated B-32 Dominator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-32-Dominator.jpg

The Consolidated B-32 Dominator was a four-engined heavy bomber ordered by the Army Air Force at the same time as the Boeing B-29 Superfortress. In reality, the B-32 was a fall-back aircraft in the event that the complex, technology-laden B-29 did not meet its expectations as the nation's premier heavy bomber of World War II.

The Dominator's original design was similar to Consolidated's existing bomber, the B-24 Liberator, in that it used twin fins and a large Davis-type wing; but it featured with a longer, rounder fuselage and a rounded nose.

consolidated-b32-dominator-sn-42108471.jpg
Consolidated B-32-1-CF Dominator (S/N 42-108471)​

The first B-32 mockups were built in December of 1940, a year before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The first XB-32 airplane was completed on September 1, 1942, six months behind schedule. Mechanical problems such as engine fires and collapsed landing gears plagued the testing of the aircraft. Although a contract was awarded to Consolidated for the production of 300 B-32s, some in the USAAF were in favor of cancellation of the entire program.
Although the B-32 was designed to the same specifications as the Boeing B-29, considerably more development was necessary by Consolidated to meet the USAAF's specifications. Pressurization and remote control of the gun turrets were abandoned and the twin-ruddered B-24-type tail was replaced in 1944 by a very large B-29-type single fin and rudder.
The B-32 was powered by four Wright R-3350-23 Duplex Cyclone 18-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engines with two turbochargers. The aircraft included space for up to 10 crew members, similar to Consolidated's B-24 Liberator.
By 1944 testing of the three B-32 prototypes had progressed to the point that the USAAF placed orders for over 1,500 Dominators. The first B-32 aircraft were completed in September of 1944, but production delays at Consolidated persisted.
During the design, development and production of the Dominator, its creator, the Consolidated Aircraft Company, merged in 1943 with the Vultee Aircraft Company. The resulting company became to be "Convair" (first unofficially, and then officially)
B-32 Dominator Specifications
Armament: 10 .50-cal. machine guns plus 20,000 lbs. of bombs (maximum)
Engines: Four Wright R-3350-23 Cyclone radials of 2,200 hp each (takeoff power)
Maximum speed: 357 mph at 30,000 ft.
Cruising speed: 290 mph
Range: 3,000 miles with 10,000 lbs. bomb load
Service ceiling: 30,700 ft.
Span: 135 ft. 0 in.
Length: 82 ft. 1 in.
Height: 32 ft. 2 in.
Weight: 100,000 lbs. (design gross weight)
Crew: 10​

B-32 Bomber Production Numbers
At the time of cancellation of the contract by the USAAF, Consolidated Fort Worth had produced 74 B-32s and 40 TB-32s, and San Diego had built one aircraft.
A total of 300 B-32s were ordered, but only 118 were delivered to the USAAF. A total of 130 were flyable, and 170 more cancelled.
Orders for an additional 1,099 B-32-CFs and 499 B-32-COs were cancelled after VJ-Day.
The table shown below represents a recap of B-32 Dominator production by model, and by manufacturing plant. Numbers represent our best research on the subject; there are minor variations in numbers reported by other sources and outlets.

A very nice start on B-32 photos.

Some time late next year (I believe) aviation author Nick Veronico and I (Alan Griffith, author of "Consolidated Mess") will be bringing you what should prove to be the definitive book on the B-32. The previous comments by Capt. Vick are actually quite telling. The amount of information available on the B-32 to anyone willing to do some serious research is quite astounding, and Nick and I have spent several years digging it up. That one photo of the remotely-operated 4-gun turrets doesn't even scratch the surface. There are also photos of the rearward-firing .50 caliber machine guns AND 20mm cannon in the rear inboard engine nacelles and the machine guns mounted in the leading edge of the wings outboard of the outer engines will all be in it - as will the tests on the A-18 and A-19 4-gun manned turrets that were experimentally mounted. I found over 200 photos of the A-18 alone in my research. Obviously not ALL of them will be in the book!

It is my opinion, based on my research, that one of the reasons B-32 development took so long was the number of different turrets that were considered. For instance, the original Emerson 128 nose turret was changed for a different one (I'm struggling to remember what its designation was but with no luck) because it was felt its replacement could more easily have the doomed .60 caliber machine guns mounted in it.

The B-32 is a much-maligned, inappropriately forgotten aircraft, and one which will finally receive its due. For instance, did you know the AAF planned to replace every B-24 in all Pacific Theaters, the CBI and the Aleutians with the B-32? The book will contain the schedule of replacement by month and unit through November 1946. And while production ended with the Block 35 (or was it 30?), we will show you the change orders planned through Block 60. And have you ever heard of Project Albert? You will, with photos. How about the proposed Navy version? Or original factory artwork on the two proposed cargo versions - or the two-engined version?

This book, with planned publication by MMP, is all based upon original documents, photos and factory drawings with very little copied from manuals. We have them, of course, by why not tell the detailed story of how the aircraft came to be and, ultimately, came to be cancelled?

All of this and much, much more.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Griffith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back