eBay: Consolidated B-32 Dominator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1650449085456.png

Very inteeresting shots. Pics 3 and 4 of the same aircraft leaving the hangar show it on a jack/platform which I guess allowed it to be moved diagonally through assembly. What is the notation on the nose of this plane? It doesn't appear to be TB-32 but another letter before the B.

Very inteeresting shots. Pics 3 and 4 of the same aircraft leaving the hangar show it on a jack/platform which I guess allowed it to be moved diagonally through assembly. What is the notation on the nose of this plane? It doesn't appear to be TB-32 but another letter before the B.
FW NO 38 or 3B. I think 38 because in this series is a FW NO 128

Moving line cradle. Until just a couple of years ago, there were still some remnants of the original moving line system still embedded in the factory floor. With the main building having been converted to only F-35 production work, the last of that system was removed when a large amount of new fixtures were installed.

Moving line cradle. Until just a couple of years ago, there were still some remnants of the original moving line system still embedded in the factory floor. With the main building having been converted to only F-35 production work, the last of that system was removed when a large amount of new fixtures were installed.
I was working in Burbank when Lockheed was closing the B-1 facility, during WW2 Hudsons and P-38s were built at this facility. The system to move the line (which was steam driven) was still there.

Those old factory floors were a pain when things had to be updated. Most of the floor in Plant 4 was over 18" thick. During the F-22 days, we had some new jib cranes going in for some new fixtures. Due to some contractor dunderhead not reading the drawings correct, the wrong diameter sockets for the columns were ordered. Wasn't until they tried to set the columns that anyone noticed. Took them a couple of weeks working 12 hours a night to crack up the 10' concrete cubes holding the sockets.....

We have all these photos and many, many more in gathering for our book on the Dominator. With the help of the former head archivist we have been able to organize the photos in the same order as the production of the aircraft. Good stuff.

AlanG
Could you give a heads up when the book goes to print? It would be appreciated by more then me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back