eBay: Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

9 PHOTOS HYDRAVIONS 1942 BASE AERO NAVALE CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS (reproductions). | eBay

1599509990918.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As a 14year old in New Orleans in 1954, My buddy and I , both aviation nuts were thrilled when the trade school near my home pulled in a PBY-6A. Since it was too large to put into the small hangar, it sat in front of the main building, worked in between the large Oak trees. In the evenings when there were no classes, we explored the entire plane. We discovered that we were skinny enough to slip inside the wing from a panel on top of the wing about halfway between the wing tip and nacelle. Inside, we could crawl the entire span to the other panel on the other wing. Inside the wing, we also had access to the pylon engineer's station. If we stayed until after dark, we could, from inside the wing, throw acorns at the watchman who came an duty about 7pm. He never knew we were 20ft above him. One other feature of this aircraft was the nose gun setup. The rotating ring casting also was the receiver for the twin .30s. Thanks to the photos on this forum, I finally found a photo of another nose gun like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back