Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Would be cool to do. I have all this metallic blue paint for when we thought everything inside a WW2 Japanese aircraft was coated with it :banghead: I wonder if the wings were done as well and attached as such

Yes these were my friend ..

tumblr_o3w9q0BxmB1sxm4gzo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3w9q0BxmB1sxm4gzo6_1280.jpg

the source:

Externally the B and C variants didn't differ too much I would say. So we can say that's the B/C version.
Regarding the colour on the horizontal stabs and the aileron .. it doesn't seem to be the Neutral Grey but the Olive Drab. Or it might be a kind of a primer of the olive-brownish tinge, IMHO.

Awesome!!!! Saved for laters. Top photo....Neutral gray on the horizontal stabs and ailerons? And which model would it be? "B" or "C" ?

I cannot guarantee it was the case at that time but I have always suspected that the "blue dye" was a thin layer of blue plastic film applied to keep the skins clean and minimize scratching.

You can still buy aircraft alloy sheet with the film but now it is clear. I believe the first photo in post 463 above supports this theory as, to me, that looks like the film has been pealed back to allow the walkway to be applied.

1636516689752.png

If you really want a copy of
1636578823432.png

go to
1636578741836.png

There are only print copies identified so if you want a personal copy you will need to scan or photograph every page. Then you might as well PM them to me so I can produce a pdf and post it here. ;)

I had never heard of the author (not that that means anything) but he was quite prolific
1636579209621.png

That Canadian magazine caught my eye until I saw the eye watering price. I never knew Canada built Hampdens.
1636579601844.png

1636579480827.png

Last edited:
I am jealous. Being a Safety and Quality Manager I have collected a number of safety pubs of that era but I have never seen that one. It is interesting to see what has changed and what is the same - and still causing incidents/accidents.

The biggest change is from blame the pilot/mechanic to find why the pilot/mechanic/loadmaster/whoever made the mistake(s) they did and then try and train/modify procedures/etc to eliminate the hazard.

The blue film on those Warhawks is called Lionoil. It was actually included in Curtiss manuals and apparently was used both as a protective "shop coat" for the Alclad (which would be removed before final paint) and in some cases as an actual primer (with paint applied directly over it). Here's a link to a thread on Hyperscale that has all sorts of links and explanations re: Lionoil, pretty fascinating stuff: HyperScale Forums-WW2 aircraft sheet metal question

Hope that helps!

- Thomaz

Thinking more - that photo that I blew up definitely shows a peelable coating and the Lionoil I used was definitely not peelable.

Another product from the same company?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back