Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P-40 Add from US Air Services May 1942 :

P-40 Add from US Air Services May 1942.jpg

That is clearly Dykem, a coating that enables the sheet aluminum to be marked per the blueprint so it can be accurately cut and drilled. They would have removed it after the airplane was built. It was in use in the 1970's when I was at a USAF Air Logistics Center. No doubt computer controlled automated techniques have replaced it for major manufacturers but I'm sure it is stilled used for smaller operations. Me, I use a Sharpie marker for my sheet metal work.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

View attachment 647470

View attachment 647471
Those are Tomahawks for export not USAAC P40B...note the small round opening on the spine (Tomahawks had this odd clean blister bubble light there) no gunsite reflector on the glass(normal on P40) and not all ready painted (also normal for P40 onnthe assembly line)

Last edited:
1641759866548.png

Definitely not a first generation fax (such photos in newspapers around then were captioned photo by wire)

From Wikipedia

Scottish inventor Alexander Bain worked on chemical mechanical fax type devices .... He received British patent 9745 on May 27, 1843 for his "Electric Printing Telegraph".

... first commercial telefax service between Paris and Lyon in 1865, some 11 years before the invention of the telephone.[9][10]

Jules Verne even had faxes in his book Paris in the Twentieth Century and he died in 1905. I found the book depressing.

Again from Wiki
Written in 1863 but first published 131 years later (1994), the novel follows a young man who struggles unsuccessfully to live in a technologically advanced, but culturally backwards world. Often referred to as Verne's "lost novel",[citation needed]​ the work paints a grim, dystopian view of a technological future civilization.

Predictions for 1960[edit]

The book's description of the technology of 1960 was in some ways remarkably close to actual 1960s technology. The book described in detail advances such as cars powered by internal combustion engines ("gas-cabs") together with the necessary supporting infrastructure such as gas stations and paved asphalt roads, elevated and underground passenger train systems and high-speed trains powered by magnetism and compressed air, skyscrapers, electric lights that illuminate entire cities at night, fax machines ("picture-telegraphs"), elevators, primitive computers which can send messages to each other as part of a network somewhat resembling the Internet (described as sophisticated electrically powered mechanical calculators which can send information to each other across vast distances), the utilization of wind power, automated security systems, the electric chair, and remotely-controlled weapons systems, as well as weapons destructive enough to make war unthinkable.

The book also predicts the growth of suburbs and mass-produced higher education (the opening scene has Dufrénoy attending a mass graduation of 250,000 students), department stores, and massive hotels. A version of feminism has also arisen in society, with women moving into the workplace and a rise in illegitimate births. It also makes accurate predictions of 20th-century music, predicting the rise of electronic music, and describes a musical instrument similar to a synthesizer, and the replacement of classical music performances with a recorded music industry. It predicts that the entertainment industry would be dominated by lewd stage plays, often involving nudity and sexually explicit scenes.

EDIT
The interesting thing to me about Verne is that he was always checking out the latest patents so that his stories could involve the latest inventions. In his book Paris in the Twentieth Century all transport, apart from railways, is horse drawn and there are no aircraft. The internal combustion engine and aircraft, as apposed to aerostats (balloons), had not yet been invented.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back