Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just looked all the way thru the P-40 thread and when I saw post 50, I immediately thought "group build".

Original Photo of "First of the P-40 Langley Field, Va. Summer 1940 w/ a B-17B | eBay

p40_46_first Langley field.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A mock up of a twin engined P-40. I think the wings would have been a bit short. Maybe Curtiss saw the Grumman XF5F?

TwinP-40-1.jpg

Yes, it would have to be pre-PH because they started building the D model in the fall of 1941. And since I believe that Curtiss was located at an airfield in Buffalo and thus the P-40 could have been flown to any spot in the US, it is going overseas. And I guess that means HI or the PI.

Interestingly enough, in the PI by the time the war started most of the P-40's there were P-40E's; with only one squadron of the B/C models. In HI they had nothing but P-40B/C on 7 Dec 1941, with some P-36 and some P-26; after they lost most of their P-40 and P-36 they flew a lot of patrols with the remaining P-26's. The IJN was still flying Claudes at the time of the Solomans campaign, so a P-26 vs. Claude combat is at least theoretically possible, if under very unusual circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back