Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I missed the early canopies on "Nair" and your observation made me look much closer.

The engine cowling appears to be missing the air inlet filter holes and the N model battery access panel.

The centre canopy is definitely some 15cm/6inches shorter than the TP-40N centre canopy and behind it is what appears to be a tubular roll over truss (yellow arrows) which is not fitted to the TP-40N. The white arrows show the aft end of the forward skin panel which is a good visual reference to the difference in centre canopy length as is the visible end of the canopy slot on "Nair" and its absence on the TP-40N. Given the radios installed there and total lack of instruments in the rear cockpit I now suspect this was a special build for some other reason

Last edited:
So any further in narrowing down the model P-40 used to make this two seater "Nair?" Note the exterior mounted rearview mirror. Looks like a Silver Oakleaf on the garrison cover of the pilot in the front seat. So likely a Senior Officer.

So any further in narrowing down the model P-40 used to make this two seater "Nair?" Note the exterior mounted rearview mirror. Looks like a Silver Oakleaf on the garrison cover of the pilot in the front seat. So likely a Senior Officer.

The external mirror shows in photos of both long and short tail P-40s including as early as on some E models and as late as some L models. It is not on all but I do not know why.
It is not listed in the M & N parts catalog and I cannot say when it was replaced by the internal mirror as that is not shown either.
I can see nothing else that is model specific to go by and any conversion may cherry pick parts off other models.

Resp:
Roger. Thanks much. If it was factory done, it would be logical to use existing parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resp:
The P-40 w the Chinese markings is not an actual Flying Tiger of Chenault's, as their P-40s did not have roundels on the fuselage. Since it is a Warhawk (late model) rather than a Tomahawk, it could be one of the
P-40s given to the Chinese Air Force. However, in looking at the additional aircraft, plus the grass is cut everywhere except around the landing gear, etc. . . . this looks to be a static display of war weary aircraft, post WWII?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread