Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Resp:
The first photo looks to have "Nair" low on the L side of the air intake, but due to the latticed canopy which predates the P-40Ns used to make TP-40s, it was an early, possibly the first . . . two seat trainer. I still think it is a factory model rather than a field modification. The garrison covers (hats) the pilots are wearing suggest a leasure trip, or perhaps a non-scheduled demonstration flight. All are guesses though. I believe the first 'N' models had latticed canopies, or could be a P-40M conversion? No tail number to verify.

I missed the early canopies on "Nair" and your observation made me look much closer.

The engine cowling appears to be missing the air inlet filter holes and the N model battery access panel.

The centre canopy is definitely some 15cm/6inches shorter than the TP-40N centre canopy and behind it is what appears to be a tubular roll over truss (yellow arrows) which is not fitted to the TP-40N. The white arrows show the aft end of the forward skin panel which is a good visual reference to the difference in centre canopy length as is the visible end of the canopy slot on "Nair" and its absence on the TP-40N. Given the radios installed there and total lack of instruments in the rear cockpit I now suspect this was a special build for some other reason

1564357789148.png

1564358446367.png

1564358610558.png

Last edited:
I missed the early canopies on "Nair" and your observation made me look much closer.

The engine cowling appears to be missing the air inlet filter holes and the N model battery access panel.

The centre canopy is definitely some 15cm/6inches shorter than the TP-40N centre canopy and behind it is what appears to be a tubular roll over truss (yellow arrows) which is not fitted to the TP-40N. The white arrows show the aft end of the forward skin panel which is a good visual reference to the difference in centre canopy length as is the visible end of the canopy slot on "Nair" and its absence on the TP-40N. Given the radios installed there and total lack of instruments in the rear cockpit I now suspect this was a special build for some other reason

View attachment 546756

View attachment 546757
View attachment 546758
So any further in narrowing down the model P-40 used to make this two seater "Nair?" Note the exterior mounted rearview mirror. Looks like a Silver Oakleaf on the garrison cover of the pilot in the front seat. So likely a Senior Officer.

So any further in narrowing down the model P-40 used to make this two seater "Nair?" Note the exterior mounted rearview mirror. Looks like a Silver Oakleaf on the garrison cover of the pilot in the front seat. So likely a Senior Officer.

The external mirror shows in photos of both long and short tail P-40s including as early as on some E models and as late as some L models. It is not on all but I do not know why.
It is not listed in the M & N parts catalog and I cannot say when it was replaced by the internal mirror as that is not shown either.
I can see nothing else that is model specific to go by and any conversion may cherry pick parts off other models.

The external mirror shows in photos of both long and short tail P-40s including as early as on some E models and as late as some L models. It is not on all but I do not know why.
It is not listed in the M & N parts catalog and I cannot say when it was replaced by the internal mirror as that is not shown either.
I can see nothing else that is model specific to go by and any conversion may cherry pick parts off other models.
Resp:
Roger. Thanks much. If it was factory done, it would be logical to use existing parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Resp:
The P-40 w the Chinese markings is not an actual Flying Tiger of Chenault's, as their P-40s did not have roundels on the fuselage. Since it is a Warhawk (late model) rather than a Tomahawk, it could be one of the
P-40s given to the Chinese Air Force. However, in looking at the additional aircraft, plus the grass is cut everywhere except around the landing gear, etc. . . . this looks to be a static display of war weary aircraft, post WWII?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back