Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Original B&W 8x10 Aircraft Photo - TP-40N Warhawk 42-104546 Chinese AF in 1946 | eBay

1564830921003.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Resp:
Is it a 'field mod' or a factory TP-40N? It doesn't have the bulged canopy rails of a rear canopy on TP.

I would say a field mod of a P-40N-1 or earlier late K or M fitted with an N-5 or later sliding canopy.

The red arrow shows what appears to be the rear end of the early clear view panels and this is supported by the position of the AN104 antenna.

The yellow arrow shows a square corner and the factory aircraft have largely radiused corners

1564869599467.png

1564870389415.png

1564869954186.png

I suspect that the bottom photo is of an RAF Tomahawk as that bomb carrier is British (or maybe French - I do not know what their bomb carriers look like).
Resp:
Actually, if you look at the group of 4 photos, the bottom L one shows a Kittyhawk so configured with the British style/mfg. bomb. Note the 3 guns I each wing. The Tomahawk had two guns in each wing along with two in nose. So I am extrapolating that the two aircraft were photographed at the same time/place.

Last edited:
Resp:
Actually, if you look at the group of 4 photos, the bottom L one shows a Kittyhawk so configured with the British style/mfg. bomb. Note the 3 guns I each wing. The Tomahawk had two guns in each wing along with two in nose. So I am extrapolating that the two aircraft were photographed at the same time/place.

You are probably right.
I note that in the photo above that, the aircraft has the standard USAAF bomb shackle and its related forest of stays.
Two of the top photos show E models with British bomb carriers which suggests the Brits had a mod to replace the US shackle and related forest of stays with the aerodynamically far cleaner self contained British unit.
So there is a challenge for those in in the UK - find the AP or mod or whatever that covers this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back