eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I heard the Ki-78 was developed based on the German aircraft standards.
Project leader Mineo Yamamoto stayed in Germany during 1938-1939 to study.
He kept contact with a Heinkel engeneer in Tokyo even during the war to leave a lot of data to his family in the postwar.
Most of them are not made public yet except Mineo's scholarly papers like this.

Engine mount structure of the Ki-78.
Made of magnesium alloy complied to the German standards AZM.
I have no idea about AZM.
Shinpachi, AZM is one of many alloys the Germans developed, it is comprised of Aluminum, Zinc and Magnesium was a high-stress forged material.
It was used not only for engine mounts, but a great many parts on the DB601 were made from AZM alloys.

Here is a very useful page that has an extensive list of WWII era German Magnesium alloys used on aircraft and I'm sure that the Germans shared these formulas with the Japanese.
LiTOT: Analysis of Magnesium Applications In German Aircraft and Equipment

That's an unfinished KUGISHO R2Y1 KEIUN, not a Kawasaki Ki-64
That's correct!
It's hard to mistake the two, as the R2Y1 is a very unique mid-engined aircraft. The one pictured above was the second airframe under construction, the first airframe flew but was destroyed in an Allied air raid.

On a side note, Messerschmitt had a design that was very close to the Yokasuka design, the Me509. It was never built, but was to have elements of the Me309 in it's construction.
This photo is a vintaged scale diarama of the Me509, with a Me309 in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread