eBay: Japanese airplanes and other hardware.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Type?

1644231167936.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Racoon Special

Seller During late April 1944, captured largely intact at Cyclops Airfield. Repair: Between May and June 1944, this aircraft was repaired during free time by American personnel from the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) 5th Air Force, 49th Fighter Group, 8th Fighter Squadron. TSgt Bruno Topik was in charge of the rebuild and became the crew chief once completed.

Note i do not think Racoon is mispelled Raccoon. I think the name fits this one perfectly.

racooning
(n) the act of exploring a neighboorhood with the express purpose of rummaging through people's trash or stuff set at the curb (usually in a vehicle for covering more ground, ease of removal) in order to find possibly valuable items; popular on weekends, nights before trash pickup

1644321053071.png
1644321062109.png

Last edited:

Type?

View attachment 657216

I reckon it might be a Mitsubishi Ki-51. The circular inspection panel is a clue, as is the location and configuration of the leading edge landing light. The excess dihedral on the outer wing panels is also common to the Ki-51. The intriguing camouflage might not necessarily be Japanese, the type was used by a few other air arms after the war, the Republic of China, Communist China, the DPRK and Indonesia, where there is a surviving Ki-51 in a museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back