Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Last edited:

Ju33 Bremen

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Built by Junkers at Merseburg, Germany. During December 1941, delivered to Lufthansa and registered in Germany as D-AVIU. Nicknamed "Th. Schöpwinkel". Next, operated by Aero O/Y in Finland with registration OH-LAM. During February 1942 nicknamed "Karjala".
Wartime History On June 7, 1943 damaged on the ground due to a collision at Malmo Airfield in Sweden. Afterwards, impounded at the airfield until the end of World War II in Europe.

Postwar
This aircraft was registered as SE-BUE. During November 1951 assigned to PRIV: Ahrensberg. In May 1955, one of three Ju-52's purchased by Bobby Gibbes from Sweden: this aircraft, Ju-52 SE-BUD and Ju-52 SE-AYB. Flown to New Guinea. Registered as VH-BUU in September 1955. and operated with Sepik Airways, during the 1950's. Next, owned by Mandated Airlines (MAL) and registered VH-GSH.
On October 17, 1959 crash landed at Baiyer River Airfield. Wreckage The radio, instruments and Pratt & Whitney R-1830 engines were salvaged, but the rest of the plane was abandoned at the airfield. Condition today is unknown.

Charles Darby adds:
"I still have quite a lot of the placards and other little pieces from the Ju-52 that I recovered at the time, as I was told the aircraft was about to be junked."

Bruce Hoy adds: "Wreckage remained for some time until chopped up and parts used to stabilize an earthen dam."

https://aeropedia.com.au/content/junkers-ju-52/ Junkers Ju 52 VH-BUU ( werkn 7256 ) of Gibbes Sepik Airways ... October 1959 VH-BUU crashed at the Baiyer River when it ground-looped and was never recovered, the hulk remaining in situ. VH-BUW had only been returned to the air for a short period when it and VH-BUV were grounded at Madang, broken up and sold for scrap in August 1959. The remains were shipped to Australia where they were noted in the yard of Brown's Scrap Metals at Port Adelaide, SA in June 1962.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread