eBay: Lockheed P-38 Lightning (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lightning I (Literally)Spotlighted Photos | Code One Magazine
Rare shot of a Lockheed Model 322 Lightning I (Royal Air Force serial number AE979) during initial testing over California, probably in 1941, although this image was not cleared by the US military censor until June 1942. Originally intended for France, and equipped with unsupercharged Allison V1710-C15 engines, this aircraft was one of only three Lightning Is ultimately delivered to the RAF. Unsatisfactory performance during testing and a contract dispute led the RAF to refuse the additional 140 Lightning Is on order. After Pearl Harbor, those aircraft—still with RAF serial numbers—were impressed into service by the US Army Air Corps. Designated P-322, the aircraft were used initially for defense of the West Coast before being flown as trainers.

Last edited:
Lockheed Model 322 Lightning I …...equipped with unsupercharged Allison V1710-C15 engines...….
I always liked the P-38 as an amazing bit of technical design. The interception of Admiral Yamamoto was an amazing feat, made possible by the P-38. Unfortunately, the Air Ministry and the RAF brass went out of their way to break it. Whilst it didn't help that GE were refused the right to export the turbochargers, the 322 had propellers that rotated in the same direction. This was a particularly stupid hang-up of the Air Ministry, based solely on cheapness. They had refused to let Petter put handed engines on the Westland Whirlwind for the same reason, because they said it was more expensive for the maintenance and supply of two models of the same engine. Petter had time to redesign the rudder of the Whirlwind to compensate, so it didn't suffer too badly, but Lockheed had no chance to sort the P-38's rudders because the British Air Purchasing Commission had insisted on a tight delivery schedule. Not surprisingly, given that it was designed to use handed props, the 322 suffered badly from torque swing on take-off, and had a tendency to yaw as it accelerated or decelerated, which gave the Air Ministry the excuse to reject it even for ground-attack. What's worse it that Lockheed predicted both the performance and handling issues and the APC ignored the warning. Thus, the RAF threw away the chance of having a decent long-range fighter available in 1942 for use in the Desert. Amazingly, even after the USAAF had proven the P-38Es over the Aleutians in 1942, the Air Ministry were so determined not to admit their mistake that they declined the P-38F under lend-lease! Instead they waited for the "more conventional" P-47 and P-51.

Users who are viewing this thread