eBay: Martin B-26 Marauder

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1943 WWII US Army PHOTO~"MARTIN B-26 Marauder BOMBER w/ CREW" NEW GUINEA~ | eBay

1584189072180.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Snautzer, my mouth dropped with your post of the 344th BG '26 Y-71 #344437 with invasion stripes. I have an original photograph which I post here of the very same aircraft as taken by my father, Lt. Lawrence Hohlaus, flying with the 1st Pathfinder Squadron, Provisional. From the position of the aircraft in the photo I would assume he was flying up to take their position as lead. Although they might have formated up with the 344th for other reasons, from his logbook the very earliest my photo could have been taken Is on November 26th, '44, when he led the 344th on a mission to bomb an ordnance depot at Giessen, Germany. The next time was not until January, when maybe invasion stripes would have been gone? Anyway, thanks, serendipitous finds like this make this forum really worthwhile. Thanks for starting this thread of my favorite aircraft!
9E1B3B5E-36BF-4B8E-8DA9-8AB6F17D3ECD.jpeg

Snautzer, my mouth dropped with your post of the 344th BG '26 Y-71 #344437 with invasion stripes. I have an original photograph which I post here of the very same aircraft as taken by my father, Lt. Lawrence Hohlaus, flying with the 1st Pathfinder Squadron, Provisional. From the position of the aircraft in the photo I would assume he was flying up to take their position as lead. Although they might have formated up with the 344th for other reasons, from his logbook the very earliest my photo could have been taken Is on November 26th, '44, when he led the 344th on a mission to bomb an ordnance depot at Giessen, Germany. The next time was not until January, when maybe invasion stripes would have been gone? Anyway, thanks, serendipitous finds like this make this forum really worthwhile. Thanks for starting this thread of my favorite aircraft!View attachment 581705
You are welcome.

Some of these shots are breathtaking, the quality the images have remained in makes them look so much newer than they really are -- it's really a testament to good film, good storage (and the ability to use computers to adjust the color quality to correct for aging in old film -- some of them have this bluish color to them).

Some of them look like they were taken yesterday to 25 years ago, and others from the 1960's when color television first came into widespread use. They're amazing.

For Memorial Day and the WW2 75th here is the 344th Bomb Group in a not commonly seen picture laying what I believe are 2000 pounders, 2 per aircraft. This is an original photo taken from my father's Pathfinder Squadron aircraft who was leading the mission that day. Note the deep snow on the ground. From his logbook's winter missions this is either a raid on an ordnance depot in Geissen, Germany on November 26, 1944, or a railroad bridge busting mission to Nonnweiler, Germany on January 29, 1945. My bet is these size munitions were used to knock out the bridge at Nonnweiler. Good hits were observed. If that was the mission, he led the Group in "Smokey", or "Smokey Joe" an illustration of which can be seen in Osprey's B-26 Marauder Units of the Eighth and Ninth Air Forces. At that time as co-pilot he was flying what seem to be a mix of aircraft, as the Pathfinders often flew aircraft borrowed from different units. "Smokey" was from the 456th Bomb Squadron, 323rd Bomb Group. Apparently he only flew it once. The picture in flight of "Smokey" is from the Roger Freeman Collection of the American Air Museum in Britain. The picture my Dad took of his pilot with "Smokey" is an original picture, and likely taken the same day. Must have been a good mission. Flaking paint was common on Marauders, but what looks like a hole in the canopy and some of the apparent holes and flakes peppering on the right might have come from a flak burst!
96611342_10222096797837888_2394807699062652928_o - four.jpg
FRE_004683.jpg
Dad's B-26 crew photo (3).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back