eBay: Non type specific. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

*PHOTO* Captured British Airspeed Oxford Aircraft in German Markings - Excellent | eBay

How about that?

1619431365281.png

1619431381203.png

1619431396528.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure about that Oxford, something doesn't look quite right.
OK, it may be genuine, but the appearance of the markings look rather strange, and I'm wondering if this was used to portray a German aircraft in a movie, either during WW2, or shortly after ?

Not sure about that Oxford, something doesn't look quite right.
OK, it may be genuine, but the appearance of the markings look rather strange, and I'm wondering if this was used to portray a German aircraft in a movie, either during WW2, or shortly after ?

Your tingling spidey-sense does you credit:

Airspeed Oxford (i.e. civilianised but not converted to the specification to be a Consul) G-AHGU was something of a film star. It started its film career as one of three Oxfords that passed for Japanese aircraft attacking the Chinese town of Tsiensin in the film 'The Inn of the Sixth Happiness' (1958). Then in 1958 it was registered to Film Aviation Services Ltd. at Gatwick, for whom it appeared in the film 'Operation Bullshine', in which it pretended to be a German aircraft, marked V4+DT, between December 1958 and January 1959. Almost immediately thereafter it changed allegiance, to serve as an RAF aircraft in a supporting role to Brigitte Bardot in the film 'Babette goes to War' between February and March 1959. The following year it was sold on to Overseas Aviation Ltd.. On 11 October 1960 G-AHGU was flying from Jersey to Fairoaks. On its approach to Fairoaks the pilot was told that the western part of the airfield was waterlogged (at that time Fairoaks was a grass field) and so decided to land close to the eastern boundary of the airfield but, unfortunately, where it chose to touch down was only slightly less waterlogged than the western part. The result was that the starboard undercarriage wheel sunk into the soft ground and the leg promptly collapsed! Fortunately the pilot and his two passengers were uninjured and whilst it is recorded that the Oxford was damaged beyond repair, the reality was that, as a type, the Oxford was reaching the end of its useful life, and it in all probability it simply was not economic to repair G-AHGU. However you'll be pleased to hear that, like the old trouper G-AHGU was, it finished its career on screen. In another film, which I've not yet identified, it was the 'stand in' for Consul G-AJLR when it came to depicting the destruction of the aircraft featured!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back