eBay: North American B-25 Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

French Croix de Lorraine

1655805672636.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
RAF PL-191 P number October 1942

1697796554966.jpeg

Last edited:
1944 NOSE ART PHOTO - TOUCH OF TEXAS - 38th BOMB GROUP

View attachment 673541

I think this is TOUCH OF TEXAS too 38th BOMB GROUP 1944 see above picture ground row guy on the left. also has a paper in his chest pocket.

1659346897176.png

1659346905987.png

1659346966305.png

cockpit B-25J

View attachment 680627

View attachment 680628

The photo is marked as a "B-25 J cockpit" but there is no second column for the co-pilot. This could be some experimental modification (don't know which exactly) or simply a B-25H with only one pilot. The gauges of the H-model are different though.
7erz.jpg
b25g-13.jpg

Unless the photo in question shows the prototype XB-25H (a B-25C-10 called Mortimer II)?
Interesting start for some deeper research!

Was watching a documentary on the Doolittle Raid when I came across some footage I hadn't seen before of a B-25B being towed. I can't tell if the serial number is 40-2245 or 40-2249, squadron number 33 is still present on the tail but the nose has been overpainted with a fresh coat of OD. The stain looks a lot like the one on 40-2249 when it was in the Doolittle Raid, at least to me, and it has deice boots installed. Cowl ring looks like it could be OD, red, or blue to me, propeller still has the old markings style of leaving the hubs and first 12 inches of the blades unpainted. What do y'all think?
B-25B 40-2249 6.PNGB-25B 40-2249 5.PNGB-25B 40-2249 4.PNGB-25B 40-2249 3.PNGB-25B 40-2249 2.jpg

Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2fFUnz0SMA&t=2164s

Edit: found more of the footage in part 3, as well as a very clear still of 40-2266. There's a lot of footage of B-25Bs in the documentary, though mixed in with modern B-25s and combat footage of B-25Cs, Ds, Hs and Js.
B-25B 40-2249 7.PNGB-25B 40-2249 8.PNGB-25B 40-2266.PNG
Source: www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBdUs3APek&t=384s

Last edited:

Dirty Dora II 345th BG

View attachment 652265

View attachment 652266
Dirty Dora II was salvaged and modified by Captain Victor Tatelman for early radar detection and attack work in the Pacific. I believe This was some of the first "Wild Weasel" work but I've seen some briefs of B-24 "Ferrets" (I believe) doing the work in other theatres but the dates escape me. Captain Tatelman has a great story and I recommend taking the time to read up on him.
BTW, I don't believe the guy in the picture is Tatelman but, with that tan, he may have played volleyball against Maverick and Goose in the original Top Gun…

Last edited:
Dirty Dora II was salvaged and modified by Captain Victor Tatelman for early radar detection and attack work in the Pacific. Some of the first "Wild Weasel" work but I've seen some briefs of B-24 "Ferrets" (I believe) doing the work in other theatres. Captain Tatelman has a great story and I recommend taking the time to read up on him.
BTW, I don't believe the guy in the picture is Tatelman but, with that tan, he may have played volleyball against Maverick and Goose in the original Top Gun…
From "Warpath Across the Pacific" B-24D-10 41-30276 Dirty Dora II joined the 499th BS 345th BG on 7 Feb 1945 after being refurbished and having an 8 gun nose fitted. She was modified for radar ferret missions and flew on detached duty from the rest of V Bomber Command.

Tatelman had been the pilot of the original Dirty Dora when it flew with the 499th in 1943/44.

Ferret missions were about plotting enemy radar coverage and the gaps therein, with the aircraft generally flying alone. That contrasts with RCM fights that were generally in support (jamming enemy radars) of other bomber activity, and in which a number of units participated, most notably the 36th BS with the 8th AF operating alongside 100 Group RAF. In the Pacific the 20th Combat Mapping Squadron was redesignated 20th Reconnaissance Squadron (Long Range, Photographic-RCM) on 10 May 1945 as its activities expanded.

The first B-24 Ferret aircraft was converted in Jan 1943 and arrived on Adak in the Aleutians in Feb 1943. At that time their mission was to plot the same kind of Japanese radars found on Guadalcanal. After flying some operations in early March, it returned to Wright Field later that month. By mid 1944 another Ferret was flying with the 404th BS 28th CG in Aleutian skies.

B-24 aircraft were flying ferret missions in the SWPA from Jan 1944 with Section 22. For administrative purposes the first 2 aircraft were assigned to 63rd BS 43rd BG. These aircraft, Ferrets VII & VIII, had been specially outfitted at Elgin AAB in Florida, and had their bomb bays filled with electronic gear and a operator's position with additional equipment in the navigator's position. Initial operations were to map enemy radars around Rabaul.

USN PB4Y-1 aircraft flying out of Guadalcanal from late 1943 (covering the Solomons and New Britain) and from Eniwetok from March 1944 (covering the Central Pacific & Truk) were flying Ferret missions. The PB4Y-2 Privateer that arrived in the Pacific in Jan 1945 had an extensive "...state-of-the-art electronic counter-measures (ECM) gear for detecting, interfering with, or exploiting for intelligence purposes, any electromagnetic energy that an enemy might transmit for military purposes."

And there was a sole B-24L assigned to the 868th BS in 13th AF from probably mid-1944 (it was flying missions against Balikpapan in Oct).

So plenty of Pacific Ferret activity before Dirty Dora II in early 1945.

Dutch 1944 Michell 1
A friend of mine, the maintenance chief for the 9th PRS, said that in India they ended up with one of the early Dutch Mitchells in India. The version they had ordered had reduced fuel tankage from the USAAF versions, with the result that you had a choice of carrying bombs over a distance too short to be very useful, or putting gas tanks in the bomb bay and having useful range. The 9th PRS used the airplane to deliver photographic info to the units in the CBI that needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back