Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Husslin Hussy 20th Air Force GUAM
This was an era were painting adverts was a normal trade. So by hand . Ask our pirate member BillHow were the more complex nose art applied to these aircraft?
With a brush. There was someone who could do the artwork in most units. Aircrews would pay the artist. Often a maintenance person would be that person and could be backed up with work for months.How were the more complex nose art applied to these aircraft?
I took that much for granted. It's the mechanics of how they did it I marvel at. A B-24 might be easier than a B-17 because of fuselage shape. Still, it had to be a more challenging a canvas than a fighter. Perspective and all that. Would the artist be given special breathing apparatus when illustrating the nose of a Short Stirling?With a brush. There was someone who could do the artwork in most units. Aircrews would pay the artist. Often a maintenance person would be that person and could be backed up with work for months.
The one I've never figured out was Richard Bong's P-38 Marge! That's freaking awesome.I took that much for granted. It's the mechanics of how they did it I marvel at. A B-24 might be easier than a B-17 because of fuselage shape. Still, it had to be a more challenging a canvas than a fighter. Perspective and all that. Would the artist be given special breathing apparatus when illustrating the nose of a Short Stirling?