Empty kit boxes.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I scan my old instruction sheets and send them to the boxartden.com to post on their site.

It has been distressing to find that even when stored in their original boxes that are then stored in a plastic bin with a lid that is still not good enough to completely protect the contents, especially decals.

Hi all. Probably a stupid question but here goes. What do you do with all the empty built kit boxes. I've just got back into modelling and space is an issue.(well it is to the missus). You obviously save all the spare kit pieces but do you just throw the instructions and boxes away.
Thanks in advance.
I save all extra stuff , and cut the tops of boxes and save them.

I save all extra stuff , and cut the tops of boxes and save them.
Same here

I had a small leak over my stash a few years ago that destroyed the decals in a few kits, so since then I save all my after market and extra decals in ziplock bags and the first thing I do when I open up a new kit to look at it is to put the decals into a ziplock and return it to the lit box

"...put the decals into a ziplock and return it to the lit (kit?) box"

Good idea. I was disappointed to find that the decals for a F-82E had some discoloration, despite being in the kit box which was in turn in a plastic tub with a snap on cover. I guess some moisture got to it, even thought it was stored in that plastic tub in an airplane hangar. Same thing may have happened to some 1/32 F3F decals kept in the kit box; will have to see if they work Okay when i use them in the near future.

I am wondering if keeping the box sealed in its plastic wrap will help with that. Opening the box before you build the kit is a good way to loose parts. But on the other hand, over 20 years ago I bought a Fujimi 1/48 BF-110C and when I looked in the box found that had included two of one sprue and none of another, making it impossible to build the kit.

Same boat as Glenn and Clefmmann.
I save everything (including others' model throwouts) for repairs, scratchbuilding, conversion, or if someone else needs them.

Kit parts are stored in plastic storage boxes, divided by subject (cockpits, engines, cowls and intakes, etc), loose decals in ziplock bags according to nation, stored in metal biscuit tins (as are aftermarket sheets). Complete kit sheets bought off the net in photo albums (sticky page type).
Instructions are stored together in a folder, and box tops cut off like Glenn, aim being to collage them on a wall someday (...) though if more than one of the same kit made, only one is kept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back