Enamel thinner removing lacquer paint.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Roninnoidl3s

Recruit
Jul 19, 2021
Hello,

I am having an issue with my Enamel Thinner removing my Lacquer base coat/ top coat I used the alclad II lacquer gloss primer and silver candy base for my metalic parts. I then used future floor polish as my top coat. I then proceeded to us my Tamiya panel line accent colour paint for panel lines. I used the humbrol enamel thinner to remove excess panel line colour but when doing so my top coat and silver candy base got removed. Why is this happening? Should I just use the tamiya X-20 thinner as is suggested or will I run into the same problems?

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Enamel Thinner removing my Lacquer base coat/ top coat I used the alclad II lacquer gloss primer and silver candy base for my metalic parts. I then used future floor polish as my top coat. I then proceeded to us my Tamiya panel line accent colour paint for panel lines. I used the humbrol enamel thinner to remove excess panel line colour but when doing so my top coat and silver candy base got removed. Why is this happening? Should I just use the tamiya X-20 thinner as is suggested or will I run into the same problems?
I know the general rule of thumb is to use enamels over lacquer so I thought it would be safe to use but I feel I'm missing something

Oh sorry I have omitted the info in your first post here. It seems that the problem was caused by the thinner. Although the Humbrol one is dedicated to the oil enamels its composition could have been changed. The Humbrol products aren't the same these were years ago because of changing of the firm owner. Using of the the Tamiya X-20 thinner may help but I would suggest checking on a plastic piece painted with the Alclad II paints firstly.

Thank you for your advice. I assumed it was the humbrol thinner I was using I just needed clarification. I will try the X-20 instead. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back