End of campaign bug - any ideas? Please?? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jonny_bass

Recruit
Jun 6, 2011
Hi all,
To be brief, I've discovered quite an annoying bug in my copy of EAW - upon the successful conclusion of a campaign (i.e. surviving to the end without dying), the game shows the "summary" screen (kills and losses for yourself and the unit), then CTDs without showing your pilot's score in the Hall of Fame. If you die or are taken POW, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I've experimented and it seems to affect all units, for all countries, in all 3 campaign eras (1940/43/44). I've tried patching with 1.28C and (my current patch) 1.28E, but neither has made an impact. Would an earlier patch work? Or is there a particular file which I need to get from somewhere? And if so, what is it and where can I find it?
As you may have guessed, I'm not very technically minded so anyone who knows how to solve this problem, *and* can give me step-by-step instructions on doing so, would have my eternal gratitude :D ...as right now, I'm tearing my hair out. I just wanna shoot someone down! :( All help appreciated...cheers guys.

Hi Jonny,

well it sounds as if the hall of fame screen hasn't been resized to the new standard size of 1024x768. Just to check, are you saying this problem you are having was in your original 1.2 game too ? or is it only in the 1.28 series of exes ?

the other possible problem is with the smacker video files... most modern cards wont handle this video system so if a video is called from the exe it will often cause a ctd. You might try asking over at simHQ, the EAW community is a bit bigger over there...

cheers,

Pobs

Hi Pobs,
I eventually took it over to simHQ, where a solution was (almost miraculously!) provided - turns out I had to turn off the PlayIntro file, of all things. Quite why the intro video should interfere with a single end of campaign screen, I've no idea, but there you go. Thanks for your help, it definitely helped put me on the right path to making what is at heart a great game properly playable again. I wish I could say I'd return the favour someday...if I had any tech knowledge to speak of I probably would be able to...
Anyway, cheers again,
Jonny

Hi Jonny,

yup, the 'playintro' entry activates/deactivates the smacker videos I think, so that would seem to suggest that at the end of the successful campaign there is a call to a video... setting play intro to 0 means it wont be played... glad you got it sorted and are enjoying the game again. We fly online at Gameranger and use teamspeak 3 if you want to join us for either mayhem or co-op games please drop over, all new onliners are welcome :)... to get an idea when there is someone online check out the 'flying tonight' thread at simHQ

cheers,

Pobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back