Engine cowl

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Herakeles

Airman
Mar 30, 2017
Was looking to see if anyone can identify this engine access panel. I thought p-38 but can't get any info. Thought someone here would know. Thanks
IMG_7546.JPG

When I entered the red warning stencil into Google image, pictures of the de havilland beaver popped up but none of them had the warning label that I could see.

Last edited:
I would have said a bigger aircraft than a P-38. The "Attach Work Platform Here" suggests something sizeable (at least to me, it does). A bomber perhaps?

Where was it found?

It was in my dad's collection and he got it many years ago from the scraps at Kingman salvage back in 48. I believe bomber as well but never seen anything like it in a b-17. B-24? B-26? Don't know the extent of what bombers were there

Yes made of steel. It would be cool if it was off a b-32. Thanks for the list. I will get to the bottom of this ;)

If it is of steel.. just wonder why it was made of that if it would be used for a plane. Bullet protection? Usually a such part is made of aluminium ( Alclad etc.. ) How does the another side look like?

If it is of steel.. just wonder why it was made of that if it would be used for a plane. Bullet protection? Usually a such part is made of aluminium ( Alclad etc.. ) How does the another side look like?

I could imagine the use of a sheet steel panel in an area of extreme heat, perhaps next to an exhaust or turbocharger or such.

I took more pics not much more to see except a mark on the inside panel. Also it is 17 7/8 long by 16 inches high

Attachments

• IMG_7670.JPG
    IMG_7670.JPG
    836 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7668.JPG
    IMG_7668.JPG
    480.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_7669.JPG
    IMG_7669.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 105
Okay. Third picture is off a Dzus fastener and that is what holds on most cowls.

The cowl itself is from the right hand side of a cowling set and is immediately above a the exhaust (hence the curved shape).

This photo shows a similar cowl on a Lockheed Hudson - it does not have the slot at the top so is not the one you are seeking to ID though.

Clipboard01.jpg

All I can suggest is look for photos like this though of original (not restored) aircraft (including single seaters)

Happy hunting

Sure looks close. Thanks for the pic and info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back