Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is so stated on the title page?
Well, it is actually also on the drawing page here, above. This April 1941 Ersatzteilliste is good in that it covers the Bf 109 F1-2 engine systems with the build code K62 (mit 601N) and the Bf 109 F3-4 with it's different installation and build code K-61 (mit 601E). Without going all through it, the 109 F3-4 engine installation parts are fairly different to the F1-2 parts.
This complicated oil pipework is the part that links the scavenge engine oil returns to the oil cooler and the tank return. It is different between the two types.
So, my part is the F1-2 type. This came up without ID from aircraft dump in Germany. The total Bf 109 F1-2 production was about 1580 aircraft. There is no way of knowing this parts history, but it certainly has a history!

Eng

52_.jpg

Thanks to all those that contributed!
So, now for something completely different!
I thought I might build some components into a really rare thing and you might guess along the way! No-Way can you guess exactly what it is at the start, but it would be good to have comments and offers along the way. Obviously, it is WW2 and off an aeroplane. So, apart from it's function, British, German or American is also a Question?
As Snautzer said, What the Hell is that !
Squares are 1 inch BTW.
Eng

z1_2987.jpg

I looked and looked, but darn. The worst thing is when the answer is posted.
Can be 3 things
  1. No never seen that and i think he is showing the intestines of his lawnmower
  2. I had the ff manual in my stash.
  3. Ok thats new to me. Might have seen it..wait.. wasnt there a picture somewhere because now ( and only now ) i realize i might have seen it before.....what the..
I dont know this one. Enjoying the quiz. :thumbleft:
Aaaaanddddd there it is.. i have that one.

Good guess ian, it did have an oil feed to it, but it is not an oil pump and it's not British. I'll see if there are any other bits left?

Eng

Well, I had a bit of a fiddle with it and it is back together. As you can see, it is a complete unit that bolts-on a flange with a splined drive shaft. There are two threaded inlet feed holes
and a single outlet threaded hole. It is quite a complicated thing and very accurately made.
This pic shows the outlet feed side.
Eng

z9_2996.jpg

Bf 109 hydraulic pump for landing gear.
Great bid there special ed! You have got the Aircraft right! But it isn't a hyd pump, or an oil pump. The 109 this came from usually has 400l of this stuff to pump!
Here is another shot!

Eng

z8_2994.jpg

Yes, a Kraftstoff Forderpumpe, or "fuel pre-pump" for the late model DB 605, generally in the late Bf 109 G/K. This fuel pump is engine driven and supplies the main Fuel Injection pump with fuel at between 1.3 and 1.8 kg/cm pressure above ambient. On the 109, this was usually operating without the tank booster pump (we saw before) running, so there was normally some suction in the feed from the tank. This pump was among the last of a line designed by Erich u Graetz of Berlin in the early 1930's. But this is quite a monster, the early pumps were the ZD350 model (nominal 350l/h ), this is a ZD1500 (nominal 1500l/h). To pump Gasoline fuel, the pump had to be very accurately made. It is a positive displacement gear pump working in two pumping elements as you can see. The pumping elements can work independently, say if a feed line is shut-off, but normally, both fuel-cocks would be open and both sides pumping. In this way,the unit pumps about twice the needs of the engine, so there is an internal pressure-regulated recycle circuit that dumps excess fuel flow back to the inlet side of the pump while maintaining delivery pressure. Also, to allow system priming and pre-start fuel pressure to reach from the booster pump to the injection pump, there are two very lightly sprung NRV's that allow pass-through fuel when the pump is not turning (engine stopped). This pump is lubricated by pressure fed engine oil in a low flow total loss method of lubrication.
I obtained this pump from another German dump-digger. It had been buried and you can see the low quality alloy parts of late war are badly pitted. It had been lightly vapour blasted and was full of sand. All my pumps must turn, so I dismantled it carefully and it is now a strippable Bf 109 K demo pump.
Here is the pic of the ID plate it is a 9-2433A, note the low serial number 8097, it is fairly rare.
Eng

z10_2995.jpg

Hi everyone,
I thought I would just finish this pump bit off with a little more info. I have another of these late pumps that is in new condition, unused. Some did appear for sale years ago.
The 9-2433 (ZD1500) pump was specified on most late DB engines, so late DB 605 and DB 603. They would be found on late He219, Bf109, possibly late Bf110, Do335 and Ta152C.
The photo's show the used (relic) and the new condition pumps. Also, there is my early ZD350, which shows the size and 10yr difference. The ZD350 has a cast steel body.
Finally, a shot of the Slovakia Museum DB 605 D, with its ZD1500 pump at the lower rear RHS. Hope that is interesting.
Eng

z11_2997.jpg
z12_2998.jpg
z13_2999.jpg
z14_3001.jpg
z15_3002.jpg
605d_067.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back