Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone! There seemed to be some interest in those pumps. So, to continue the theme..
Here are a very nice pair! Anyone know what they are? Usual game! Please comment if you wish!

Eng

z16_3003.jpg
z17_3004.jpg

Hi everyone! I guessed you might have seen some similarity between the late pumps and these two beauties?
Here is another shot!

Eng
z18_3005.jpg

Even I dont know the answer !
Thanks Calum,
So, I guess I should get a move on!
The previous quiz items were the late Kraftstoff forderpumpe ZD1500 (9-2344) for most of the later DB 605 and DB 603 engines. They were probably fitted to around the last 10% built of the total production of those engine types. I also showed an early small ZD350 that was fitted to some BMW 132 and some other engines. However, the vast majority of DB 601 and DB 605 engines were fitted with another medium size version of the ZD series that was used on all the DB 601's, 605's and 603's until the late ZD1500 began to be used in about 1944.
So, can anyone name this pump type?

Here is one of the pair. This came from Bf 109 G crashed engine in peat that was also still in engine oil. The round part with it is the adapter plate that was used with this pump on the DB 605 and the DB 601 E/F. This pump is very complete with all fittings, still has original oil on it and is perfectly servicable.

Edit. You might wonder why the pump flange has six holes and the adapter has only three? This is because the DB 601 E/F and the DB 605 A/B (with this type pump) has only three studs for the pump fixing. The two smaller holes are for engine oil feed to the pump, which flows into the annular ring grove and into the pump oilways via the brass one-way valve visible on the pump flange.
The adapter plate is used because the pump needs spacing slightly further out for clearance on the engine. Also, the later 605's that used the bigger ZD1500 pump have all six studs used as part of the redesign of the rear wheelcase.
Note, I also have the original nuts and washers with this pump. I was fortunate to get this, I had no input with whoever dug it up, but they were good and the pump came with all the mounting fittings and with most of the original locking wire. Also, it had not been aqua blasted!
Eng

z21_3007.jpg

Last edited:
So,
I guess I have to answer this one myself? These two almost identical pumps are ZD 500 E (9-2002 E) types. They were used on the DB 605, 601 E/F and DB 603 engines in by far the greatest number, in the region of 50,000 units, from about 1941 to the end of the War although, as I said, the larger ZD1500 was superceeding the ZD500 by the end.
So these pumps are very important to almost all DB powered aircraft in WW2.
The second (slightly cleaner) ZD 500 E pump, in the picture below on the right, is another Bf 109 G part. This one was removed from an aircraft at the end of the War and was kept. It has had a comfortable retirement in a loft, unlike it's mate who spent 50 years in a peat-bog!
So, does that wrap-up the history of the DB Kraftstoff Forderpumpen?

Eng

z20_3006.jpg

Well, of course, it doesn't!
The early years of the DB 601 A, B and N used a different model of the ZD Pumpe series. This was a development of the early ZD 350, with larger pumping gears and called the ZD 500 A. This was another cast steel bodied pump, like the previous ZD 350. The new Gerate Nr was 9-2002 B. The pressure regulation is spring controlled. This type of pump continued to be used right upto and including the DB 601 E and early DB 605 production. All Bf 109 E and F1/2 aircraft had this pump. However, as said before, the lighter Alloy bodied version was developed and introduced as the ZD 500 E (9-2002 E). The alloy bodied version also introduced a rubber diaphragm that used ambient air pressure to compensate for altitude related pressure drop. The basic spring regulation is also still in-there but the diaphragm compensates for the changing air pressure. As said, the early DB 605 engines were specified with either the steel or the alloy bodied pumps, as required by availability.
So there we have the whole family, used by most DB engines, by many aircraft types and by ALL Bf 109's with DB engines (yes, the 628 and 605L as well).

The pics below show, two shots of a BoB 9-2002 B-1. This is a UK crash relic, which like all my pumps turns correctly.
Finally, a shot of the Bf 109 E,F,G, and K pump family, ZD 500 B, ZD 500 E and ZD 1500.
I wondered, which is my favourite? Well, they are all historic and rare. But the two ZD 500 E pumps are my tops as they are very complete, both work and are representative of the main German fighter versions in the War.

Cheers

Eng

z22_3008.jpg
z23_3010.jpg
z24_3011.jpg

Last edited:
So, now for something completely different!
This next part, is not part of an aircraft but, it very correctly has an aircraft-part reference number!
Good luck!

Eng

57_3012.jpg

Great guess Snautzer, I am impressed that you know this works with MAP, Manifold Air Pressure!
How about this view!

Eng

View attachment 758179
Bloosh i aaa ment aaaa .... real.... map ...with lines and countries..navigation... yes i shut up now and go to the back of the class... i have a note from mom that i had a feaver.....

Hey, I think it is quite an unusual thing!
Here is another bit with words on it that might help.
Cheers

Eng

60_3017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back