Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hurrah! Well done ian and 2 Winners as Crimea_River matched my item!
Yes, Mosquito rudder mass balance, I think the elevator balance's were a funny shape. So, this mass balance, like many others, also fits the contour of the rudder aerodynamic balance horn. It is very heavy and the job it has is to dampen flutter of the rudder by the inertia of it's mass and move the natural resonating frequency of the whole rudder out of the range of the rudders aerodynamic flutter excitement range.
This is an item that I found myself at a Mosquito crash site. It is in the found condition, but it would clean up and with new bolts it is actually usable.
I think it is quite a relic, fairly rare but Crimea_River has one at Calgary.
The Mosquito was a very fine aircraft, unfortunately it was undervalued in it's bombing role IMO. It could have saved even more aircrew lives if it had replaced more of the lumbering sitting-duck heavies.

Eng

So, now for something completely different! This is a contribution from Tony Kambic. It did surprise me! So, it is an aircraft part, WW2, about a metre long. You might really want to ask questions here to fish for clues!
Here it is!

Eng

69.2.jpg

No but glass in the armoured 40'ties way tend to not realley glass anymore.laminated as i think this is. As being a see through window.

But shucks. Back to the drawing board.
Here is a clue. The glass could be replaced with lead or steel if you wanted too!

Eng

It almost looks like a manually retractable tail prop for holding up the tail of a tricycle geared aircraft, it even seems to have a location for a pin to secure it in the retracted position, but the glass really throws me off that idea, steel or lead would make some sense for that idea. :-k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back