Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I suppose that we are a bit thin on guessing this and I have no more easy pictures. So, it is German, very late war, twin Recce/bomber, its a weight on a long arm and the pics come from NASM. Any bids?
Cheers

Eng

69.2.jpg
70.3.jpg

Very good guess ian. But this very late aircraft is larger than the Arado, and has piston engines.

Eng

Yes, good answer bf109xxl! Believe it or not, this is an elevator mass balance/G-force control load weight from the NASM Ju 388. It amazed me that they used a glass weight. Tony Kambic says the glass looks greener in real light and has a Siemens mark on it. There are pics of this online if you go to "Dr. Vernaleken Ju388" page, and the first image on the 'A Look Inside.....' you can see one in the fuselage. That site has requests to not copy so I won't post it here. So, it is linked into the elevator push-pull rods and the neutral point will probably be pointing down about 60 dergrees. When the UP elevator is pulled, G-loading will resist and add loading proportional to the G. When the elevator is pushed DOWN, the -ve G Load will also resist that movement and make it harder to bunt. This type of weight/lever feedback force is quite common in manual elevator controls, and with puny pilots, is quite effective. The Bf 109 has a similar but much smaller (lead) weight in its elevator control.
Thanks for all the guesses. The glass weight had me stumped!

Cheers

Eng

Yes, good answer bf109xxl! Believe it or not, this is an elevator mass balance/G-force control load weight from the NASM Ju 388. It amazed me that they used a glass weight. Tony Kambic says the glass looks greener in real light and has a Siemens mark on it. There are pics of this online if you go to "Dr. Vernaleken Ju388" page, and the first image on the 'A Look Inside.....' you can see one in the fuselage. That site has requests to not copy so I won't post it here. So, it is linked into the elevator push-pull rods and the neutral point will probably be pointing down about 60 dergrees. When the UP elevator is pulled, G-loading will resist and add loading proportional to the G. When the elevator is pushed DOWN, the -ve G Load will also resist that movement and make it harder to bunt. This type of weight/lever feedback force is quite common in manual elevator controls, and with puny pilots, is quite effective. The Bf 109 has a similar but much smaller (lead) weight in its elevator control.
Thanks for all the guesses. The glass weight had me stumped!

Cheers

Eng
It wasn't very sporting on my part - I wouldn't be able to identify the airplane just from a part from the photo. But many thanks for the interesting details!

It wasn't very sporting on my part - I wouldn't be able to identify the airplane just from a part from the photo. But many thanks for the interesting details!
But everyone tried hard. It was very difficult. I did not know it!

Eng

And now, something completely different!
I am going to show two pictures, each picture has two items, one Left and one Right, so that makes a total of four items; 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, easy! There may be more photo's and they will be in the same order, so the id of each item stays the same through all the pics.
There are four winner awards, one for each item. Correct id has to go to the correct name.
These are all WW2 and may include German, British and American. Please ask questions! Have Fun!
Cheers

Eng

71_3026.jpg
74_3029.jpg

Yes, 1R is a RR Merlin. Any particular note about it, like length of skirt?

Cheers

Eng

Hi everyone. Now some shots of the undersides of these pistons. As you will see, 1L had a pretty violent impact that must have been a high speed crash.
Still three identifications needed. Questions please!
Eng

73_3028.jpg
76_3031.jpg

Good morning all,
So far, we have the 1R Merlin. There are quite a few numbers on these pistons and I will quote some for you. The cylinder number is usually stamped because the position in the engine is important for reuse on rebuild. The type of cylinder numbering gives a lot away if you know about them.
1 L is stamped 6L, 1 R (Merlin) is stamped A 4, 2 L is stamped number 11, 2 R is stamped number 9 (on the crown in this case).
I can add that piston 1 L has lost its bottom oil control ring, the bottom 1/4 inch of skirt that had this has been ripped off!
Cheers

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back