Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good first goes everyone. I think I will give this one away with the next pic.?

Eng

82_3040.jpg

I see red and black wire. Standaard electric. No ground. So not too powefull current. Like a direction light o an oldish car.
Its a light armenture in a not too big shell. Out of the plane i think.
Hole body sealed, screws also. Must be in the open.
Nav light? More indication signal light perhaps.
Nope.

Yes, two winners. It is a German Zeilflugpeilrahmen PR16. Commonly called a D/F loop in English and fitted to many Luftwaffe aircraft from about 1943 onwards. This unit is from a Bf 109 G-10, and it is in good condition except the steel loop that had corroded. However, they are quite fragile and I have not seen that many apart from those on surviving aircraft. The system worked with the FuG 16 ZY radio unit, and possibly another radio box and the AFN 2 indicator. I am not an expert in these electronics but I will try and say a little. Often, "D/F" loop aerials have a many-coiled circular loop that can be rotated on a mount. This can be rotated to get the best return from a beacon or transmitter and the relative angle measured. However, the PR16 is obviously fixed and I believe the aircraft had to physically fly headings to get the alignment with transmitters. The ground control (and aircraft) could only work a few frequencies and that limited the number of aircraft that could be controlled, or "worked". Late in the war, the system was changed with the additional underwing aerial on the long wooden blade, but I have not refreshed how that integrated with the system.
Cheers

Eng

Last edited:
Thanks for all who watched or joined in with the PR16 quiz. The subject of the radio's/radar and ground control is quite a complicated subject!

So, now for something completely different!
This one is a little thing that might interest Snowygrouch, and hopefully, many others. I will start with the clue that this is a German engine part.
I will give clues if required, and there might be more than one winner! So, make your guesses and ask questions!

Eng

86_3044.jpg

Hi Tony!
Good thoughts! Probably I should have said that the flexi-drive cable should be about 4ft long! The same type drive cable was used for several purposes as well as the VDM prop controls. In this case, it is not prop related.
Cheers

Eng

Did everyone read the numbers on my post #313?
Just to be clear,..

Eng

99_3057.jpg

Nice one Snautzer, I am assuming you mean a Jumo 213 Tacho-drive? Yes, that is what it is!

Eng

Mind you, it looks a bit complicated for a simple Tacho adapter, don't you think?
?????

Eng

91_3049.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back