Engineman's WW2 Aircraft Parts Quiz!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Everyone,
I am not an expert on the early 109's, so I have just refreshed the prop pitch controls of them. The VDM Verstelluftschraube Ersatzteilliste shows the Bf 109 BCD fitted with motor Jumo 210 BDG and the VDM 9-11072A Propeller assy. This was the 2-bladed simple VP type with instrument panel pitch switch.
The Bf 109 E is listed with or without Automatic propeller, both with DB 601 A or N.
The Messerschmitt parts list from Jan 1941 shows the Manual propeller system with the Throttle prop control switch (Daumenschalter). So, as I thought, the Daumenschalter did appear on the manual-only prop system in the 109 E but exactly when is a question.
Here are the Messerschmitt 109 E parts list pages.

Cheers

Eng

Hi everyone,

This is an interesting system component. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Eng

Interesting! Pilatus P2? Buchon?
Very good thinking. Yes, I think it is a Pilatus copy as I got it from Switzerland. It is very close to the original DBU refueling coupling that was used on most German WW2 aircraft.
The Swiss will have had the originals on their various Bf 109's and they obviously copied them for their Pilatus P2. This is a serviceable spare, it has QA stamps and a mod label dated 22-4-58, possibly for the spring loaded button at the top of the mounting face that closes an internal vent valve when the refuel coupling is attached. Interesting that there is no ID on the unit but, the label days DBU. 1-65.001

Cheers

Eng

Nice item. I knew nothing of Pilatus P2s until I got a stick grip out of one. It took a very long time to identify, but then I had to find out more!

Attachments

• 20231021_175220.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
So Ladies and Gentlemen, by kind donation of a great contributor, I bring you something completely different!
I want to let this run a little over the weekend so, no clues other than it is WW2 aviation. I will not give easy assistance today but, if you guess right, or know-Bingo!
General ideas about function are good to hear!
Cheers

Eng

Great illustrations Snautzer. Thanks for that. Also thanks to Tony Kambic for the pics from the NASM Fi 103.
The V1 had a basic autopilot that held a set course and altitude for a set distance then pitched down to crash and detonate on impact. The distance was pre-set with a count-down tacho from the prop on the nose. The magnetic course and altitude was set on the compass and barometric controller that fed the autopilot. However, the launch ramp would not always be inline with the target so, to turn on course to target there was a Left or Right switch on the top of this round unit and the Drehzeit (turn towards target) delay was adjustable up to 60 sec. The wording at the bottom says "In the case of a direct to target course, set the turn time to zero and the L/R switch has no effect", so this would apply if the ramp was aligned with the target. To protect the local area from damage from missile malfunction, the top Vorlauf zeit (arming delay) could be set between 0 and 3 mins. Aufzug in the middle is the clockwork winder for the timers and I think Widerstand is the factory adjustment of the clock speed.
In the pics below, there is the clockwork unit in its box, then the pic of the flying bomb with the access door open and you can see the autopilot box, with the countdown distance setting box on the unit to its left. The last pic is the autopilot gyro/servo and timer unit with the black cover off.
Hope that is useful!

Cheers

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread