Engines that never quite were

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wuzak

Captain
Jun 5, 2011
Hobart Tasmania
What piston aero engines were developed on under development prior to and during WW2 that didn't make production?

Mainly interested in engines that could have proved successful if they had been allowed to continue (be it during or after the war) or could have been available earlier (if that was technically possible).

One for me is the Rolls-Royce Pennine. First run in 1944, it gave 2750hp @ 3500rpm, +12psi boost (54.4inHg MAP), from its 2750ci early in its development. for a weight of 2850lbs. The Pennine was an air cooled, sleeve-valve X-24 engine.

For comparison, the R-2800 could get 2800hp at around the same time using ADI and more boost, with a 500 pounds weight saving for the -77 used in the P-47N. The R-2800-77 was a single speed, single stage engine, whereas the Pennine was a two speed single stage engine, with fan cooling.

The other major difference was size - the Pennine was 37.5" high x 39.0" wide x 106" long. The R-2800 was approximately 52.5" in diameter (depending on accessories) x 78" long (for single speed single stage version). Thus the Pennine had a lower frontal area, but was much longer.

The Pennine may have made for a good post war civilian airliner engine, to compete with the R-3350 and Bristol Centaurus. Available earlier it could have been a good bomber engine. Imagine a Lancaster successor with 4 x 2800hp Pennines!

I've seen some very interesting stuff that never quite madfe it in the litterature.
The Pratt Whitney sleeve-valve H3730 for instance, canned when, apparantly 3300hp was possible 4,000hp was imminent (according to Bill Gunston's book 'The development of Piston Aero Engines'.

And the F1 from which it was developed.

I did specify piston aero engines, however.

Ooops sorry reading this on a tablet and missed that bit. Thats my excuse and I am sticking with it :oops:

In that case the Rolls Royce Cecy 2 stroke apparently it sounded like the soundtrack from Hell :twisted:

How bout the 2 stage Allison?
From what I read, it had similar power as the 2 stage Merlin, developed near the same time as the Merlin?

How about the engine that powered the XP-47H?

From Wiki:

"Chrysler developed their first experimental hemi engine for the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter aircraft. The XIV-2220 engine was an inverted V16 rated at 2,500 hp (1,860 kW). The P-47 was already in production with a Pratt Whitney radial engine when the XIV-2220 flew successfully in trials in 1945 as a possible upgrade, but the war was winding down and it did not go into production. However, the exercise gave Chrysler engineers valuable research and development experience with two-valve hemi combustion chamber dynamics and parameters."

Well Ford's GAA V12 should be mentioned

Ford invested heavily on its design to compete with the Alison and Merlin. It was rejected because they didn't want to start another supply line for the new engine
A shame because all the specs point to it being much more advanced than the other two. It would have been interesting to see what HP it would have produced

Anyway what was a loss to the Airforce turned out to be a big win for the Army. The V8 version went on to be the Sherman Tanks best Engine. This Light powerful 450-500hp engine also proved to be super reliable

The Chrysler XIV-2220 was not built for the XP-47H. The two examples of this plane were the test beds for the new engine. The Jug was the only available single engine airframe that was big enough to handle Chrysler's first Hemi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back