error message

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Paulofski

Recruit
May 2, 2006
Hello to all - newbie here to this forum,

Can any one help please - I was running European Air War on Windows98 with no problems at all, but since I have gone onto Windows2000 I get an error message when I try and launch from the desktop icon - the error is "eaw.exe is not a valid win32 application".
I emailed into Atari and they replied that since EAW is a legacy program they are unable to help. Has any other member had this problem and if so how did they get around it.

regds Paulofski

Hi, have you patched the game with 1.1 or 1.2 game? I don't remember clearly but I thin you have to rename the patched exe to "EAW.exe", thwen it should run.

I rememebr I had the same problem when trying to run it on Windows NT... Other than that, there's also one patch, if you're not successful with renaming the exe, I'll find it for you, just drop a line in here, okay? ;)

Cheers,
Pisis

That error is normally associated with the program being corrupt. If Pisis' suggestion fails to work, uninstall(make sure you go into the add/remove programs and do it) then re-install it.

I don't play this game but this type of error is common to all .exe if they get corrupt.

Just curious but is anyone able to run EAW with XP? The roll-back feature does NOT work for any software I've ever tried it with. It usually won't even install. I always have a 2nd HD in my machines and I guess I could install Win 95 or 98, boot from that and run it but it seems like too much crapola just to run an old sim again.

Twitch said:
Just curious but is anyone able to run EAW with XP? The roll-back feature does NOT work for any software I've ever tried it with. It usually won't even install. I always have a 2nd HD in my machines and I guess I could install Win 95 or 98, boot from that and run it but it seems like too much crapola just to run an old sim again.
Twitch, there is a patch for that. Go to http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=24 and ask them, they might help you. This also might work for Paulofski.

Thanks Pisis. Yeah I got IL-2 I was just wondering if EAW still ran. Now if I get real nostalgic I could try running Lucasarts SWOTL- Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe!
Tip-Hat.gif

if you ever get EAW to run on Win 2000, consider yourself lucky. As far as on XP, it can be done. You need to do a clean install and before you ever run the game install the latest patch, 1.01, I believe then set compatability mode to 98 and it will work. One bad part is that if you run ATI, it wont show mission screens correctly and you wont get the horizon Fog. NVidia has no problems rendering these though as long as you use an older driver .

Cheers
Randy

if you ever get EAW to run on Win 2000, consider yourself lucky. As far as on XP, it can be done. You need to do a clean install and before you ever run the game install the latest patch, 1.01, I believe then set compatability mode to 98 and it will work. One bad part is that if you run ATI, it wont show mission screens correctly and you wont get the horizon Fog. NVidia has no problems rendering these though as long as you use an older driver .

Cheers
Randy
It can be run under Win2000, you just need another patch. :D

There isn't any real trick to getting European Air War to run on a new computer with Windows XP as the operating system. The only error I kept getting was 7217 or something like that. It turns out that newer Nvidia drivers aren't compatible with EAW. The fix is to install older 66.93 drivers. I found it by typing in my error and EAW. I played it for a week or two this past September on a one-year-old computer that uses Windows XP. I didn't even have to select compatibility mode for the game's .exe files.

I have EAW in the box. It sits in an honored place on my bookshelf. It was the game that got me hooked on computer games and I remember buying a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee just to play it to its potential. Now THAT was a video card. It set me back about $150 in 1998 or 99. I have Windows 98se, ME , 2000 pro, 3 XP sp2, and Vista (still beta as far as I am concerned) on the little lady's laptop. I should play it again.

I have been out of the EAW modding world for almost two years now, but what the EAW community did is incerdible. Entering the Matrix, it's just like it... No, really, now you can have even flying tanks and things like that, there is also a project to reconstruct the whole game into X-Wing-alike fighter sim - in space!!!!

EAW can be played on XP without any major problems and the ati lack of fog is now fixeable using a glide emulator.. try checking the eaw wicki or check out the SimHQ forum which is still very active for EAW

the wicki is here :

eaw » home

Hey Pobs, old pal, nice to yee you here! Just yesterady, I was thinking about EAW... Where can I check the latest progress? The community still residing at Frugals?

Hi Pisis,

good to hear from you old friend, I wondered where you had got to... :).. the main site for developments in EAW is SimHQ, we are moving forward pretty fast just now since we have managed to sort out the RS problem and can now build new models from scratch.. this has led to a project on world war 1 planes... and some very interesting developments...

cheers,

Pobs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back