Etched Mesh

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Doug28

Recruit
Jan 2, 2010
Ashford, Kent
Hi All,

I have never used this material before and know very little about it, however I am about to embark on an Airfix 1/48 Harrier fest, (GR.3/FRS.1/FA.2) and was wondering which gauge/size of mesh works best in this scale. Also any shops here in the UK that sell the mesh?

As I said I have never worked with it before so any information would be gratefully received.

Doug S.

Last edited:
Working out the 'gauge' can be tricky, as trying to match a gauge to the scale requirements doesn't always work. It's often best to try a piece next to the area being modelled. No idea where that would be visible on a Harrier though!
There are various types, some intended for armour models, and many are ordinary fine mesh as found in, for example, filters, as opposed to etched. There are metal versions, and a nylon type,known as 'Sylon', the latter again used in such things as fuel filters, tea strainers, seives etc.
These are normally vailable from Hannnant's and Model Hobbies in the UK, although everyday household objects, such as the tea strainer or seive mentioned, can often be a cheap source.

Hi Airframes,

The Harrier GR.3 has a number of visible mesh grills mainly the upper engine vents or GTS/APU vents and the RCV vents in the tail boom amongst others. Anyway I have found HO/OO scale railway modelling security fencing to be of a good gauge for my needs so I will stick with that!

And it's the nylon or 'sylon' type so easy to cement in place, bonus!!!

Many thanks for your comments, very helpful as I thought I could only get etched mesh.

Doug S.

Last edited:
Glad to help Doug, and I know which vents (on the Harrier) you mean now. I've used the Sylon (or Silon ?) on a Wessex, for the tail boom vents and the engine/rotor shaft vents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back