F-117: A long, storied history that is about to end

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, I can remember reading that somewhere but it sounds to be just misinformation although what is the difference between launching a ATG missile and an ATA besides the accuracy required for the ATA?

From what I remember the weapons bay, structure for the bomb racks right down to the wiring was designed for one thing - dropping bombs. In 1980 when the first one was rolling off the assembly line an air-to-air capability was continually denied by those I knew on the program - it seems the "operator" wanted a specific weapon and kept any air-to-air thought out of the picture. I work with guys right now who flew the -117, I'll ask them about it but I'm almost willing to bet dollars to donuts that there was never an air-to-air role planned for the F-117.

I agree with FLYBOYJ here. I have never heard of the F-117 carrying AAMs. You can always attach a sidewinder with simple interface to the cockpit, but I do not think that this was ever a desire. FLYBOYJ is much more knowledgable about the F-117 than I am. I think its prime task was to drop laser guided bombs.

I spoke to one guy about this today - his response was "possible but not probable," which tells me this may be classified. Several sites say IT HAS air-to-air capability but provide no references to that claim, another site says it was proposed.

Lockheed F-117A

F-117A: The Black Jet

F-117 Nighthawk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again my time on the program was at it's inception and it was always made clear to me that the "Article" was a "bomber."
I trust the folks from the first site, they'd always been pretty accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread