F-15 missed approach

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Overflying the crowd at that height? After Ramstein that's a complete no-no at all air displays these days and is the exactly the sort of evidence that anti-aviation killjoys need to get displayed banned (their favourite word).

I know it looks, sounds and probably feels great - but in this day and age its not Big and its not Clever. (mores the pity)

Sad but true. I think that's older footage by the color and all. Besides, there's not a show in the states that would allow that today. The FAA would be all over the pilot and the show organizers. That footage appears to be stateside (The static AC all had "N" numbers).

What a beast!

Just like a woman... looks beautiful and sounds MEAN! Makes a lot of noise and runs away!.

Depending on the show and the height of the "hard deck" he may of been perfectly fine.

I saw the clip again - he was about 3 - 500' agl in the pattern, he was doing no aerobatic maneuvers, and was in the traffic pattern. Essentially he did nothing wrong.....

Maybe so, but that did seem awful low to me for being right over the ramp full of planes and people. Skyraider Bob got in trouble earlier this year for something not even the same, but just close to the crowd.

The best passes are never at airshows I'm sure Downwind will agree with me on that. As for the pass its no different then the jet teams like the Angels or T birds coming at you from behind with the solos

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*98544843!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pacflyer/nov5-2007/Nn-72-grondzik-followup.html

The best passes are never at airshows I'm sure Downwind will agree with me on that.

Abso-bloody-lutely!

However, such events don't have the Public present en masse (relatively speaking). Moreover, the Dead Sparrows have a specific dispensation for a single 'over the crowd' pass on arrival; you'll notice that these manoevres are always very staid - no formation changes or rapid attitude changes are made until the Display Line (beyond the Crowd Line) is passed. I don't know, but I strongly suspect that the T-Birds and Angels etc all have similar 'one-off' dispensations.

This F-15 is obviously flying the 'closed pattern' at a relatively small gathering - but that still still constitutes an Air Display (well it does in the UK!) and is therefore subject to all the relative regulations. At these type of events, when things go wrong then they go wrong BIG TIME; and that's when the whole situation comes apart at the seams. eg no crowd control, disaster plan, emergency back-up and access - the full 9 yards. And that's when the anti-aviation lobby have their field day, which is my concern.

What is wrong? Except that the pilot plays around for a few minutes at government's expence plus spending very precious natural resourses which had been accumlated beneath the ground over a very very long period.

If you wish to do like that why not simply to fly yourself because it is never difficult.

This F-15 is obviously flying the 'closed pattern' at a relatively small gathering - but that still still constitutes an Air Display.
Nope! If the airfield is controlled and he is flying the prescribed pattern, there is no difference than him flying a circuit at his home airfield...

The only thing that pilot has to abide by are the traffic pattern altitudes, any speed restrictions for the airspace he might be in and any noise abatement restrictions (which are handled outside of general FARs).

Users who are viewing this thread