F-35 Lightning

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
heh, I just recently taken a liking to this new jet fighter made by Lockheed Martin of the Joint Strike Fighter program that made its maiden flight in '06, the F-35 Lightning II. I seen some amazing videos of this kickass lookin fighter, doubt we'll see them in air shows anytime soon. hell, I'd even like to see the F-22 Raptor in air shows. I hear the F-35 Lightning is a hell of a lot cheaper to build and maintain than the F-22 Raptor. and I love how it's designed, I love the STOL/VTOL conversion of this wonderful jet. I even seen it in 2 movies. Superman Returns, and Live Free or Die Hard. I know there must have been a thread about this plane when it came out, but I couldn't resist making a new thread. plus I didn't wanna confuse anyone by posting in like a year old thread or something :/

yea its a good plane and sheap also they are making 3 diferent versions of it 1 for the air force,1 for the navy, and 1 for tha usmc
Variants
The F-35 is planned to be built in three different versions to suit the needs of its various users.

F-35A
The F-35A is the conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant intended for the US Air Force and other air forces. It is the smallest, lightest F-35 version and is the only variant equipped with an internal cannon, the GAU-22/A. This 25 mm cannon, a development of the 20 mm M61 Vulcan is designed for increased effectiveness against ground targets. The GAU-22 is a version of the GAU-12 carried by the USMC's AV-8B Harrier II.

The F-35A is expected to match the F-16 in maneuverability, instantaneous and sustained high-g performance, and outperform it in stealth, payload, range on internal fuel, avionics, operational effectiveness, supportability and survivability.[citation needed] It also has an internal laser designator and infrared sensors.

The A variant is primarily intended to replace the USAF's F-16 Fighting Falcons, beginning in 2013, and replace the A-10 Thunderbolt II starting in 2028.

F-35B

X-35B lift fan; the VTOL propulsion system is designed and manufactured by Rolls-Royce plc
The F135 engine with lift fan, roll posts, and rear vectoring nozzle, as designed for the F-35B, at the Paris Air Show, 2007The F-35B is the short takeoff and vertical landing (STOVL) variant aircraft. The F-35B is similar in size to the Air Force F-35A, trading fuel volume for vertical flight systems. Like the AV-8 Harrier II, guns will be carried in a ventral pod. Vertical flight is by far the riskiest, and in the end, a decisive factor in design.

The F-35's main power plant is derived from Pratt Whitney's F119 or GE Rolls Royce fighter team's F136, with the STOVL variant of the latter incorporating a Rolls-Royce Lift Fan module. Instead of lift engines, or rotating nozzles on the engine fan and exhaust like the Pegasus-powered Harrier, the F-35B uses a vectoring cruise nozzle in the tail, i.e. the rear exhaust turns to deflect thrust down, and an innovative shaft-driven Lift Fan, patented by Lockheed Martin and developed by Rolls-Royce.[75] Somewhat like a turboprop built within the fuselage, engine shaft power is diverted forward via a clutch-and-bevel gearbox to a vertically mounted, contra-rotating lift fan located forward of the main engine in the center of the aircraft. Bypass air from the cruise engine turbofan exhausts through a pair of roll-post nozzles in the wings on either side of the fuselage, while the lift fan balances the vectoring cruise nozzle at the tail. This system is more similar to the Russian Yak-141 and German VJ 101D/E[76] than previous STOVL designs, such as the Harrier with thrust vectoring.

In effect, the F-35B power plant acts as a flow multiplier, much as a turbofan achieves efficiencies by moving unburned air at a lower velocity, and getting the same effect as the Harrier's huge, but supersonically impractical, main fan. Like lift engines, this added machinery is dead weight during flight, but increased lifting power increases takeoff payload by even more. The cool fan exhaust also reduces the harmful effects of hot, high-velocity air which can harm runway pavement or an aircraft carrier deck. Though potentially risky and complicated, it was made to work to the satisfaction of DOD officials.

This variant is intended to replace the later derivatives of the Harrier Jump Jet, which was the world's first operational short takeoff, vertical landing fighter, ground attack aircraft. The RAF and Royal Navy will use this variant to replace the Harrier GR7/GR9s. The F-35B variant was unveiled at Lockheed's Fort Worth plant on 18 December 2007.[77] The U.S. Marine Corps will use the F-35B to replace both its AV-8B Harrier II and F/A-18 Hornet fighters. The B variant is expected to be available beginning in 2012.

F-35C
The F-35C carrier variant will have a larger, folding wing and larger control surfaces for improved low-speed control, and stronger landing gear for the stresses of carrier landings. The larger wing area provides decreased landing speed, increased range and payload, with twice the range on internal fuel compared with the F/A-18C Hornet, achieving much the same goal as the heavier F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

The US Navy intends to buy 480 F-35Cs to replace the F/A-18A, -B, -C, and -D Hornets. It will also serve as a stealthier complement to the Super Hornet.[78] On 27 June 2007, the carrier variant completed its Air System Critical Design Review (CDR). This allows the F-35C to go to Low Rate Initial Production in 2012.[79]

uite fascinating, SMG I think this is the first time the Navy will have Stealth aircraft in their compliment?

yea,it's goin make a big impack in a sea battle
and th usmc will love the vertical take off

yea bout i bet they hate its speed and wepon capasity and the f 35 will fix that

Don't forget about the export model; the RAF and the FAA are planning on acquiring the F-35 in small numbers, especially since the GR9's they have are getting a little long in the tooth. However, the first versions aren't expected to enter service until 2015.

There are also several other countries considering purchases of the F-35, including Italy, Norway, Israel (of course), and the Netherlands. I believe it will be the F-16 of the 21st century.

ye it will have any one hear anithing about tha pak fa t-50

Um, could somebody please translate this one for me? I might be able to answer the question if I knew what it was.

Its the MiG 1.44/Sukhoi T-50 answer to supposed 5th generation out of Russia.

Attachments

• 300px-Artists_impression.jpg
    300px-Artists_impression.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 105
quite fascinating. ya know, before I learned about the F-35, I used to think of the F-22 as the newest and most advanced multirole fighter in the world. but now I think it's just old and really expensive. though I doubt we'll be seeing the F-22 Raptor in air museums anytime soon. lol prolly wayyyy into the future like the 2030s or 2025

quite fascinating. ya know, before I learned about the F-35, I used to think of the F-22 as the newest and most advanced multirole fighter in the world. but now I think it's just old and really expensive. though I doubt we'll be seeing the F-22 Raptor in air museums anytime soon. lol prolly wayyyy into the future like the 2030s or 2025

Surely not. The F-14 was developed in the late 60s and lasted until the turn of the century (about 35 years). The F-15, same and is still going. Same with F-16 from the early 70s. It is no longer just a rush for new airframes, but rather a race for avionics and capabilities (c.f., C4I). You will see the F-22 around for a Loooooong time. And you will see it morph into a mini-AWACS controlling UCAVs and determining the order of battle.

The first F-22 was built 1989-1990, it did have a very long gestation period for a number of reasons but its far from "old." I do think however the F-35 will offer a lot of "bang for the buck." Both aircraft will be around a lot longer than "the 2030s or 2025."

Yep. History has shown. Jeez, look at the Mig-21 and the J-7/F-7. What's that airframes life now for a fighter... getting close to 50 years?

Most 4.5 generation fighters like the Typhoon II are about the same fly away cost as the F-22.

If you want a good fighter, you have ot pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back