F-80 vs ME262 (1 Viewer)

What do you think was the best post-war jet:

• 2) Gloster Meteor Mk.VI (British)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I corrected the problem, ok?

Attachments

• chinook_410.jpg
    chinook_410.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 381
talking of the p-59 airacomet there was one exchanged to britain and the americans were given a gloster meteor in return.

looking at the body shape of the airacomet it looks like a tigershark.

I don't have any figures but I did find that the RAF test pilots found the aircraft to be badly underpowered, with an unacceptably-long takeoff run. I should add that was in comparison with the Meteor I which was no rocket ship.

The performance of the P59 was poor and as early as mid 1943 the USA decided not to proceed with it as a combat plane.

As might be expected for such a revolutionary system of aircraft propulsion, there were serious problems right from the start. The jet engines were too heavy in relation to the amount of power they could develop, and their exhaust was so hot that the turbine blades regularly overheated and often broke off with catastrophic results. The maximum speed was 404 mph at 25,000 feet, somewhat below expectations. The engine installation was found to result in an inordinate amount of aerodynamic interference, and the aircraft was subject to severe directional snaking

The above may sound harsh but it is in my mind an unfair comparison. The P59 was the first USA jet and it should be considered more an experimental prototype. Its nearest comparison in the UK would probably have been the Gloster E28/39. Its just that we didn't try to pretend that the E28 was to be a front line aircraft, it was a test bed pure and simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back