F4U-7 BuNo. 133710

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
I am carrying on a search for a member who recently passed away so if anyone has a photo or information about this aircraft it would be appreciated. This was his original request...

"I've done some thinking and I think I know what aircraft I'd like to do: BuNo 133710. The reason being, this aircraft has a somewhat interesting history (at least for me anyway). After use by the French, it was used in the TV series Baa Baa Black Sheep, and was mostly used as "Boyington's" aircraft, so it was often front and centre. After bouncing around a little bit, it was sold to a someone who then flew it out of Camrose, Alberta for about 20 years. I actually saw it at least once at an airshow around my area, but that was when I was a small child. I do have some film pictures of it."

EDIT: This is my error. What Cory was looking for was the aircraft with squadron markings, not just the Aéronautique Navale roundels.

He posted 2 photos of the aircraft on another thread, taken during the delivery period. This is one of the photos i grabbed from another site but it also has info of where the aircraft may have served...

cory.JPG

I have just sent an email to a French naval aviation web site and hopefully they may have some info. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek. I was at the link you put down in Post #2. I think it's my last English language site on the web. I'm starting to dive into the French language aviation sites, one of which is where I posted the email. I'll also hit websites about the Indochina, Egypt and Algeria conflict. There were only 90 or so aircraft sent to France and I've pretty much seen most of them though there are many photos where I can't make out the serial numbers. The French navy had crappy photographers in the 50s methinks

I should have mentioned that he was looking for the kite with some sort of squadron markings. I'll edit the first post to reflect that.

Humm ... it seems that the kite could have been used without any particular squadron markings. But do you mean the movie?

You know it. They not only carried the squadron numbers, 14, 15, etc and plane number but many carried the last three numbers of the BuNo though I think this may have only been during the Indochina conflict

The French book "Les AILES de GLOIRE 12 - F4U-7,AU-1 Corsair" shows a such pic. The scan isn't of a good quality but the number looks like 133710 and it might have been the kite... but not sure though. The caption says " AU-1 12.F.2 at Telergma, North Africa.

F4U-7.jpg

F4U-7_.jpg

Thanks for the link Karl. Do you know what carrier the aircraft in the bottom photo was on. It just dawned on me that 133710 might not have had the squadron number on the side but just may have only have had the last three digits of the serial number as shown in the photos Wojtek posted above. Seen many aircraft like that, just need to find out if it was a certain squadron or time period

Thanks for the link Karl. Do you know what carrier the aircraft in the bottom photo was on. It just dawned on me that 133710 might not have had the squadron number on the side but just may have only have had the last three digits of the serial number as shown in the photos Wojtek posted above. Seen many aircraft like that, just need to find out if it was a certain squadron or time period
No sorry mate, but Wojtek's first pic shows your bird with 710 on the sides

I think that while it carried the number " White 710" the same one was applied at the bottom of the port wing and on the top of the starboard. But if you think about the number "12.F.2" type it was applied of the fuselage sides only that's for sure . Also the digit "2 might have been applied on the wheel doors.

Agree with the "710" locations as per your photos. Found this other model on the above site depicting the aircraft in a later state similar to your bottom photo in Post #2. Note the model has a white propeller dome and your photo has remnants of white paint. This color signifies 14F as well as the pirate tail art...

avion_10.jpg

Still going to do a bit more digging but I believe this will be the way I'll do it. The Hobbyboss kit comes with the tail art but I'll have to source some white numbers. Any guesses on the size? Wing numbers look a bit bigger than the fuselage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back