F4U Corsair landing light

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

flughaus

Recruit
Dec 23, 2008
Valencia, Spain
I am looking for some picture or information about how the landing light, in a Vought F4U Corsair, located at left wing bottom actuates. I could see in several triptiques this light is faced to land, then I guess, it turns 90 degrees to light front side when landing gear is activated in the night. ¿Could anyone confirm that?

I think you are referring to the Recognition lights which were fixed and faced downwards. The "approach light" was in the leading edge of the wing on the left side. Attached is an excerpt from the pilot handbook, which explains the operation. The "early" corsairs had four recognition lights, red, green, amber and white and later versions effective from plane number (F4U-1) 57484 (FG-1) 87988 and just had three, red green, amber.

Okay - here is the attachment

Attachments

• 01-45HA-1-056.jpg
    01-45HA-1-056.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 562
That light was electrically extended/retracted. I didn't know it's azimuth was also controllable. I have overhauled such lights and they are pretty complex devices having two separate motors controlling extension / retraction and searchable azimuth. I didn't think they were available during that period. The plans I have for a Corsair show only extension / retraction capability.

I am looking for some picture or information about how the landing light, in a Vought F4U Corsair, located at left wing bottom actuates. I could see in several triptiques this light is faced to land, then I guess, it turns 90 degrees to light front side when landing gear is activated in the night. ¿Could anyone confirm that?

Does anybody know where the landing lights or approximation lights were locate in the airplanes?

Hey flughuas, the early F4U (birdcage) had a landing light like you mentioned. It was eliminated with the -1A and was put on the leading edge as another poster noted. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures or drawings or visit my free F4U Corsair Forum noted below.

Richard Wright
Admin, F4U Corsair Forum
F4U Corsair Forum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back